1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker recommendations

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jayjay, Feb 9, 2002.

1. jayjay

jayjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've built myself a pretty good PC - GF3, SB Audigy (with the int drive), Pioneer slot DVD, etc. I need to get some speakers for basically playing games and watching the odd DVD (I have a full HC set-up in the living room downstairs).

What are my options here? I want 5.1 sound but don't really want to pay the earth. I have a Sony DD amp spare but I wouldn't mind flicking that on and putting the cash towards some speakers - using the Audigy's internal processing.

I've seen the Creative speaker packages but they look pretty lightweight - but affordable.

Any ideas??

Jay

2. zigguratt

zigguratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're using an amp, it would be hard to do better than the Diva Swans. Scroll down to find the 2.1s, 4.1s, etc. They're ridiculously low-priced for such high-quality, beautiful speakers.

If you're not using an amp, the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1s are excellent speakers. You would be blown away by their power and clarity. I have the 2.1s on my computer for casual listening and I'm constantly amazed by these speakers.

3. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What aboute the DigiTheatre DTS? , Im currently wondering whether to base my audio system on the HTPC/HCPC or buy seperates.

I suppose if I go the PC route then any new algorithims in PowerDVD like Dolby Prologic 2 is cheaper than upgrading to a new AMP..

Although I doubt a PC based speaker system is anywhere near the quality of a £600 amp/speaker seperates system?

James (htpc with sblive 5.1)

4. jayjay

jayjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks guys

zigguratt

Thanks heaps for the links. I'll check out the Divas - haven't heard of them before and not sure I could get them in NZ. I'll do some research.

The Promedia's look the business but they're quite expensive here in NZ. The 4.1's cost NZ$950 so god knows how much the 5.1's will be! Do you know if the 2.1's can be upgraded to the 5.1's? They're "only" NZ$560!

James

DigiTheatre? Haven't seem them either, are we sheltered down here or what! I'll try and find them too!

Sorry I can't answer your question HTPC vs separates. Upgrading software is an advantage but I think your soundcard probably has a big say in how high quality your set-up is. I thought that Dolby P2 was only really useful for VHS anyway?

Jay

5. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dolby Pro Logic 2 is useful for TV, I believe any DPL signal sounds far better in DPL2.

There are loads of reviews of Videologic's Digitheatre 5.1 DTS being the one Im thinking of getting. Ive posted a few links but there are plenty of reviews.....ahh decisions! - let me know which one you go with and why you went for it :)

http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/reviews/DigiTheatreDTS/DigiTheatreDTS.html

James