Speaker recommendations

Davinski

Morning all,
I have a pair of "MORDAUNT SHORT AVANT 906i" floor standing speakers running off an D-M39DAB. I was very happy with this setup but have recently moved house with the speakers now in a smaller room 4Mx5M and more importantly with far less flexibility with positioning and seating position. I now think they are too much for the room, too much thumpy base and the difference in enjoyment from different seating positions is significant.
In short i am looking to change to something smaller , probably stand mount, but more importantly more forgiving with positioning. I realise i am not going to find " perfection" ( i am not an audiophile) but something that will work better in my now restricted scenario.

Any recommendation/input from someone who has had to make similar room related compromises would be welcome.

Regards

Neil Davenport

gibbsy

It's not so much the speakers as the power with the amp that will make the difference in a larger room. The Denon has a limited power output so no matter what speaker you pair with it in a big room it's going to suffer and more than likely clip when you have to turn the dial to fill the room. You may have to consider a new more powerful amp.

Helix Hifi

gibbsy could be right regarding the amplifier. But it’s your ears. But if you wanna go down the stand mount speakers, or book shelves speakers there are plenty to choice from. Dynaudio M10, B&W 707 S2, Dali Menuet are some choices in the midrange range. If you really wanna go down the high end route then you have the British sound which I like the best. The KEF R3, Tannoy Autograph Mini GR, Spendor Classic 3/5. Then you have Harbeth speakers, but Harbeth is very overpriced in my opinion but that midrange😊. As I said there so many. First what’s your budget? What kind sound do you like? Neutral, warm, or disco bass? And it can be a pain in the ass getting the correct stands for your speakers also. Regarding the amplifier if you’re gonna play loud and you chose Dynaudio speakers as an example then it could be a good idea changing the amplifier. From my googling your Denon amplifier got 30 watts in 6 ohm. But I can’t find 4 ohm anywhere. Good luck.

Last edited:

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Hi Neil, I’d second Gibbsys comment.

Your amp isn't really up to the job of driving the MSspeakers, or many others really. It’s more meant for a small room close to system.

Having said that, you’re more likely to get better results with a stand mount that doesn’t fling so much uncontrolled bass around.

You might get some joy by considering these,

Not it too difficult a load and, driven within your amps capabilities, seeming well controlled.

and these too.

Again, bearing in mind the amp, no one has ever accused AE of making unruly speakers.

It may take a while to get used to the lesser bass mass, but it’ll be well worth it. Nothing spoils music like overblown, uncontrolled bass.

ps, adding a budget would be helpful :smashin:

Helix Hifi

But gibbsy I asked what he’s budget is? If he goes for the speakers I mentioned I of course he needs a more powerful amplifier. That’s a given. I used the Dynaudio speakers as an example also.

Helix Hifi

If we know he’s budget then it’s easier to help. And what sound he likes. The shops are closed now, so demo is not an option. I wish him good luck.

Helix Hifi

Hi Neil, I’d second Gibbsys comment.

Your amp isn't really up to the job of driving the MSspeakers, or many others really. It’s more meant for a small room close to system.

Having said that, you’re more likely to get better results with a stand mount that doesn’t fling so much uncontrolled bass around.

You might get some joy by considering these,

Not it too difficult a load and, driven within your amps capabilities, seeming well controlled.

and these too.

Again, bearing in mind the amp, no one has ever accused AE of making unruly speakers.

It may take a while to get used to the lesser bass mass, but it’ll be well worth it. Nothing spoils music like overblown, uncontrolled bass.

ps, adding a budget would be helpful :smashin:
How does AE sound like?

Top Bottom