Quantcast

Speaker Recommendations

Trevski220

Hi I’m looking for reccomendations on speakers to audition to upgrade my system.

I’m looking to partner speakers with my Cyrus Lyric Stealth and currently have Monitor Audio RX6.

Hoping to find some speakers that are detailed but also offer a little more warmth, budget of 1.5-2k max but happy to look at used options as well as new.

suggestions and opinions welcome, Thanks in advance

barnitto

Can’t comment specifically in relation to your system, but I love my ProAc DT8. Go and have listen to the

Orobas

Well.. you're not actually that far off where you currently are speaker wise to be honest. The aging RX series is ok.. but against the newer Silver and Gold series.. it is totally outclassed. That Silver 200 is a good start.. the mighty Silver 500 is where i would be .. Provided i had the outright room space.

other alternatives.. Spendor A4 if you can grab an ex demo, Dali Opticon 6's (the cyrus can drive them! again if you have the room) on floorstanders..

Noted standmounts for that cyrus.. you would need to be headed to things like the Dynaudio Special 40s (ex demo) .. Dynaudio Evoke 20's (Dynaudio partner quite well with the higher end cyrus stuff but these are the onyl 2 models i would recommend go listen too) .. and the Dali Rubicon 2 (or Opticon series)

The MA's can be found at Richer Sounds and also at Audio T i believe where the Spendor's, dali's and dynaudios are at.

Best to book a demo and if you can .. see if you can get a home demo once you have been in store to listen (it will cost but i think it is a returnable deposit)

If you have access to a Sonus Faber shop near you.. they are extremely well worth the trip to go listen too....

Trevski220

Can’t comment specifically in relation to your system, but I love my ProAc DT8. Go and have listen to the
thanks for that suggestion I’ll consider them, reading online reviews some people suggest they are quite forward and bright which would potentially be too much for me as the Cyrus kit is already fairly bright.. but I’ll see if I can find a pair to listen too with my own ears.

Well.. you're not actually that far off where you currently are speaker wise to be honest. The aging RX series is ok.. but against the newer Silver and Gold series.. it is totally outclassed. That Silver 200 is a good start.. the mighty Silver 500 is where i would be .. Provided i had the outright room space.

other alternatives.. Spendor A4 if you can grab an ex demo, Dali Opticon 6's (the cyrus can drive them! again if you have the room) on floorstanders..

Noted standmounts for that cyrus.. you would need to be headed to things like the Dynaudio Special 40s (ex demo) .. Dynaudio Evoke 20's (Dynaudio partner quite well with the higher end cyrus stuff but these are the onyl 2 models i would recommend go listen too) .. and the Dali Rubicon 2 (or Opticon series)

The MA's can be found at Richer Sounds and also at Audio T i believe where the Spendor's, dali's and dynaudios are at.

Best to book a demo and if you can .. see if you can get a home demo once you have been in store to listen (it will cost but i think it is a returnable deposit)

If you have access to a Sonus Faber shop near you.. they are extremely well worth the trip to go listen too....
Thanks for those suggestions I was going to listen to the newer monitor Audio offerings and have fancied some spendor speakers so they are definitely on the audition list.... Dali Rubicon 6 had been on my radar but I’ve yet to listen to them but I’d not considered the opticon 6 so I’ll add that to my list also.

I’m fairly sure I want to stick with floorstanders rather than standmounts.

These fellows would be a considerable upgrade. And close by.

Thank you, I had seen these already they’ve been for sale for a good few weeks, I need to demo some ASAP

barnitto

The ProAC are not forward or bright - I hate that kind of sound. If you have Cyrus and monitor audio you are already at the bright end of the spectrum. Dali and ProAc have a number of similarities in sound signature IMO

However it was just a suggestion. I actually demo’d more expensive speakers but went for the DT8 as I enjoyed them that much. Hence my enthusiasm for them!

The only real peice of advice is go and listen for yourself, suggestions are great to add to add to your demo list. What you like is personal preference. For your budget you have some great choices.

Trevski220

The ProAC are not forward or bright - I hate that kind of sound. If you have Cyrus and monitor audio you are already at the bright end of the spectrum. Dali and ProAc have a number of similarities in sound signature IMO

However it was just a suggestion. I actually demo’d more expensive speakers but went for the DT8 as I enjoyed them that much. Hence my enthusiasm for them!

The only real peice of advice is go and listen for yourself, suggestions are great to add to add to your demo list. What you like is personal preference. For your budget you have some great choices.
I certainly wasn’t writing them off or putting them down in any way based on what I read and will try to find some to listen to with my own ears, I do appreciate you taking the time to come on here and make the suggestion, and I agree I’m already at the bright end of the scale....if possible I’d like to step away a little from the Bright sound. Cheers

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
There’s a good bargain for the Spendor A2 at Audio T.

Not sure if they’re at Portsmouth or Southampton, but in either case, pretty close for a demo.

Don’t forget to take your own amp. :smashin:

Also, AudioT have a good reputation for home loans so it’s worth asking them.

madfiddler

Recently got a pair of A2 new form my local dealer had them on demo for about 2 weeks, planned 1 week and the waiting for new set to arrive another week.

logistically they were on a relative short list for me, but was really impressed with the sound for such a diminutive speaker. The bass is surprisingly good. quality of build is fantastic.

The deal I got on the new price wasn’t far off those audioT clearance ones, so I’d definitely haggle or at least ask them what their best price is if your interested in those. There also seem really good s/h prices on spendor at the moment.

note if you want grills they are another £100!

the A4 aren’t particularly large either...

bjd

Distinguished Member
There are a pair of mighty fine Proac D20Rs for sale on the forums ATM. Definitely worth considering.

Last edited: