Speaker Recommendations Please

Pompey007

Novice Member
Looking for recommendations for new speakers to go with an Audiolab 6000a. Currently have a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 1's which are OK but looking to move up. have up to £1K to spend but happy to spend less. I looked at the KEF LS50 Meta's but read they don't play too nicely with the Audiolab. Ideally looking for something with a light wood finish to keep things harmonious domestically. Room is 10ft wide and about 24ft long with the listening position 8ft from the speakers. Don't play much at very high volume and music wise it's pretty varied - from the Stones to Nick Drake, some indie, electronica plus lots of dub reggae - so a tight, controlled bass is needed. I really like the look of the Wharfdale Linton's on their stands but think they may be a bit too large (speakers sit either side of the TV) so was also looking at the Wharfdale Evo 4.1/2's. Saw the B&W 606's recommended but they don't pass the looks test.

password1

Distinguished Member
Only £100 more than the evo 4.2 are the Q Acoustics concept 40 at £699. Luxurious 9 layers of piano gloss lacquer finish. Very well made superb. Build quality rivalling speakers costing several times more. No need for stands. Slim and compact floorstanders at only 17cm width. Take up less footprint than stands and most other speakers. Easy to drive 8ohm nominal and never drop below 4 ohms.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
You’re only an hour and a half from these mighty legends.

Then there are these.

And

I’d be sorely tempted by the Neat SX personally

gava

KEF R3 are a superb bargain if you can stretch the budget. IMO there's not much to compete with them at their price point.

You don't really need someone to search for speakers around 1k for you - the Linton's look lovely, if you like the look but not the size you could try the JBL L52? Probably a better speaker too.

Pompey007

Novice Member
KEF R3 are a superb bargain if you can stretch the budget. IMO there's not much to compete with them at their price point.

You don't really need someone to search for speakers around 1k for you - the Linton's look lovely, if you like the look but not the size you could try the JBL L52? Probably a better speaker too.
Hadn't heard of the JBL's but they look great, going to find somewhere I can demo them.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

Helix Hifi

Monitor Audio Silver 300 6 g. Since the new range is on the market you can get the 300 Silver for good price, perhaps even as low 50% discount. Usually suspects are Oberon 7, although I find the Oberon 5 more précis in the bass. Perhaps the Oberon 5 with subwoofer could works. They take up more less the same space like stand mounted speakers with stands.

ashenfie

Looking for recommendations for new speakers to go with an Audiolab 6000a. Currently have a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 1's which are OK but looking to move up. have up to £1K to spend but happy to spend less. I looked at the KEF LS50 Meta's but read they don't play too nicely with the Audiolab. Ideally looking for something with a light wood finish to keep things harmonious domestically. Room is 10ft wide and about 24ft long with the listening position 8ft from the speakers. Don't play much at very high volume and music wise it's pretty varied - from the Stones to Nick Drake, some indie, electronica plus lots of dub reggae - so a tight, controlled bass is needed. I really like the look of the Wharfdale Linton's on their stands but think they may be a bit too large (speakers sit either side of the TV) so was also looking at the Wharfdale Evo 4.1/2's. Saw the B&W 606's recommended but they don't pass the looks test.
Yeah the Audolab don't work well with the LS50 meta, need a fair bit more juice and you have a large room. The Kef R3/R300 would be better balanced. For the price your not going match the LS50 meta but maybe some like the Revel.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom