1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker recommendations for these receivers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by CraigH, Jan 9, 2004.

1. CraigH

CraigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just about to delve into the world of AV and buy my first home cinema system.

I've done a bit of reading through these groups and various magazines and have decided to purchase an AV Receiver from the following short list:

Sony STRDB-790
    Onkyo TX-SR501E
    Yamaha HTR-5640

I'll be attaching it up to a Toshiba SD330, XBox and Sky+.

Could anyone recommend a set of 5.1 speakers that would be a good match for any of these receivers. I have a budget of around £300 and I have read that some online retailers have some good deals available at the moment.

The reason I ask is that I have read that certain combinations do not perform very well. e.g. Sony and Mission produces a very 'bright' sound.

Any help would be appreciated.

Craig

2. munkay

munkay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    For £300 you will be pushing it.

Best bet imo would be Wharfedale Diamonds.

Something like:

Diamond 8.4 Fronts (Floorstander)
    http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_130245_1594crx.aspx

Diamond 8.2 Rears (Standmount)
    http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=2096

Diamond Centre (but pref something a bit more powerful)

They also dont look to shabby either - especially in the light wood finish. Also have kevlar domes like B&Ws :)

You should be able to get them for 300 .... if you shop around you may even be able to strech to a decent centre, especially without a sub.

I know hyperfi do 8.3 /8.2 /valdus centre for 199 so its more than possible to get a decent enough set for you money.

For the money I doubt you could go wrong with these and they should give decent enough bass.

Definitely shop around and perhaps consider a different Centre - perhaps something a few years old to get a higher range one seeing as its gonna be used a lot.

3. CraigH

CraigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help munkay. I've looked into this a little more and have decided that a small satellite system will do me for now until I can invest in some better speakers for music, etc.

I like the look of the Mordaunt Short Premier package and Mission FS1. Does anyone have experience of these speakers with any of the mentioned amps?

Also, does anyone know if the Mordaunt Short package comes with any speaker cables? I've read that the FS1 pack does. If not, which cable would you recommend I buy for such a system?

4. timps

timps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a Yamaha HTR-5640 for £199 and a set of Elac cinema ones for £250 from superfi they have got them at £299.95 on the website but I went into the shop and they knocked me some off for buying both at the same time.

The Elacs should retail at £399 and have a What Hifi sound and vision award the shop also recommended the system and I am very impressed with it.
    I had to go the small satellite root because of “you are not putting those in here” from my wife. No cable included just wall brackets I used QED Micro cable again they did a deal on that as well.

The sub Impressed me does not overpower the system but fills the room. The detail is also very good from the satellites
    For the price and size restrictions I don’t think I could have done any better my wife likes them to which is priceless to me anything for a quite life.

http://www.elac.com/en/index.html has a list of all the test reports
    I also have a set of B&W P4 for music

5. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    I like my FS1's a lot, sounds so different with nxt panel and it looks so darn good, but, not as powerful as I wish, even my marantz 4300 is too powerful.

I recommend the onkyo 501 at 250squids from unbeatable, and the mourdant short premiere 240squids at richer sounds by using www.hificonfidential.com s price at 250. Have u seen the review links on 501 at my summary thread on the amp department?

Wasabi

6. CraigH

CraigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did look at the reviews of the Onkyo 501 and was very impressed. The only thing putting me off was that hardly anyone sold them so thought the Sony would be the 'safer' bet and was better suited to me than the Yamaha due to the number of inputs available.

Wasabi, yes I did see your thread on the Amps section, it was very useful in helping me at least define a short list of amps, great work! I just wasn't sure about what speakers would provide the best combination for each.

I am definitely tempted to go down the route of Onkyo and MS Premier but do you know if RS do the Premiers in black or silver, the cherry ones wouldn't go.

Timps, I've looked at the Elacs and as you say they do seem to be good value for £250.

One other point, would you recommend I purchase the digital coax cables from the Power Buy forum for connecting my Sky+, DVD, etc. to the receiver? What speaker cables (that are not too expensive!) should I use if I got the Premiers?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  9. CraigH

CraigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks hornydragon, definitely tempting at that price. Just need to decide between £250 for the MS Premiers or £200 for the Tannoys.

Does anyone who has heard both of these sets know if there is much of a difference?

I see that the Tannoys also come with cables and wall brackets, not sure if they'll be up to much though.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i saw athread the other day that mentioned tannoys for £180 but no retailer, might be worth a search under "tannoy"

11. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I found that thread, but upon clicking the link found them listed at £200.