Speaker recommendations for Musical Fidelity kit

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by CastNoShadows, May 1, 2007.

1. CastNoShadows

CastNoShadows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

My set up is:

Musical Fidelity A3 CD Player
    Musical Fidelity X-A1 Amp
    Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 Buffer

Acoustic Energy 505 loudspeakers

Plays all kinds of music and also has DVD, Xbox, Sky+ going through AUX.
    I have never been totally happy with the sound in the 6 years I've had the speakers. Not great definition and a poor soundstage. To be fair it does fairly sing when the volume is really cranked up.

The speakers are biwired and are rear ported.

My gut instinct is that I need a different speaker set up [not necessarily a more expensive one, but probably front ported]. Any suggestions or recommendations o check would be appreciated. I really really don't need to spend a lot of cash and a speakers that look exactly like the AEs may get under the wife's radar. Kef IQ5s, IQ7s?

Hope someone can spin me in the right direction

Thanks

Cast

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    to be honest, if you are not going to go up a range all you will get is a different sound.....however it may suit your more than the current speakers.....

if you go up a range (from the iQ's, not exactly sure what price your current ones are) then you actually get more performance.....the MF amp shouldnt have a problem powering most speakers one range up.....however you will get standmounts for the money......you might be able to convince a dealer to let go of a pair of MA GS10's for example for nearer £700 than the £800 price.....whilst its probably a bit higher than you are thinking, you get a lot more sound for the money......a lot more.....i would say B&W's 705's too but they are even more rrp and less likely to be discounted, however again they will give you a lot more....

then in future add a sub if you want more depth....altho being honest, the GR10's dig pretty damn deep for standmounts....

its worth thinking before splashing out on speakers that dont give you anything extra, just a different sound......

best thing to do is get to a demo room and try try try!.....

oh yeah, if budget is imperative, consider Monitor Audios RS5's or RS6's....stonking speakers for the money.....different sound to the iQ's.....

3. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    I have to agree with above, you're not really moving up a range, and more so your gear is very good and will be rewarded (and also reward) a better speaker...

I'm not a huge fan of MF personally, but a lot of praise seems to go with MF and Dynaudio... now Dynaudio i am a fan of (see sig!) and whilst they aren't front ported the Focus 110 are cracking standmounts for £850

Deffo go demo and try Dyn, MA, B&W, Proac, PMC etc and get an idea what you like as you're touching a hugely competitive area of the market and lots of great products are available for sensible money...