Speaker Recommendations for Home Cinema Night Mode / Low Volume

Andy3105

Hello all....

I am currently using a Tannoy SFX 5.1 system with 2 additional satellites and a Cambridge Audio S90 sub (which I am very aware isn't the best setup around) connected via a Sony STR-DH790 receiver and I have problems with bass rumble / bleed which I've looked into and people have suggested using better speakers that are less reliant on the subwoofer.

Are there any recommendations that won't exceed £500 max....?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Most bookshelf speakers and normal sized center channels will be good step up for day/night time listening. From your earlier thread you have large bookcases each side so have to place speakers there. You do have good space for center channel below tv without being too low which is very important and great to see!!

For movies with that budget i would lean toward the new MA Bronze range, but as always if you can visit local hifi store give them a listen!

Another good options would be the Elac Debut 2.0 range, these are one of the most popular choices in US. Andrew Jones designed and front ported model some may feel would be better when placed in cabinet, but when you cross the speakers 80-100hz i don´t think it matters that much. You can always use the bungs supplied too.

Wharfedale has new range, but these has been more laid back earlier so may suit more for music listening rather than gung ho action movies. Bronze might have edge here being more forward sounding and likely bit more exciting, but your ears will be final judge.

Mission has new LX range which should be again top contender in this price range. You need to see which model fits your cabinet cause i don´t know the dimensions. It would be important to choose the larger center channel though (C2).

Last but not least the Q Acoustics Concept 20 range which doesn`t need introducing. Gloss white or black finish. Center channel could be larger, but other than that i don´t think many would be disappointed with these. Rounded cabinets might get extra points from wife and gloss finish makes them look more expensive, although more dust magnet aswell (black).

Andy3105

Most bookshelf speakers and normal sized center channels will be good step up for day/night time listening. From your earlier thread you have large bookcases each side so have to place speakers there. You do have good space for center channel below tv without being too low which is very important and great to see!!

For movies with that budget i would lean toward the new MA Bronze range, but as always if you can visit local hifi store give them a listen!

Another good options would be the Elac Debut 2.0 range, these are one of the most popular choices in US. Andrew Jones designed and front ported model some may feel would be better when placed in cabinet, but when you cross the speakers 80-100hz i don´t think it matters that much. You can always use the bungs supplied too.

Wharfedale has new range, but these has been more laid back earlier so may suit more for music listening rather than gung ho action movies. Bronze might have edge here being more forward sounding and likely bit more exciting, but your ears will be final judge.

Mission has new LX range which should be again top contender in this price range. You need to see which model fits your cabinet cause i don´t know the dimensions. It would be important to choose the larger center channel though (C2).

Last but not least the Q Acoustics Concept 20 range which doesn`t need introducing. Gloss white or black finish. Center channel could be larger, but other than that i don´t think many would be disappointed with these. Rounded cabinets might get extra points from wife and gloss finish makes them look more expensive, although more dust magnet aswell (black).

Wow what a post that is, thank you so much for everything mate....👍

Nilanth

Maybe a bit late but, I have the concept 20's as LCR. I love them. Often contemplated upgrading them and spending more money but never do as I can't find a fault with them. They suit my needs perfectly which are for a detailed articulate sound.

Andy3105

Maybe a bit late but, I have the concept 20's as LCR. I love them. Often contemplated upgrading them and spending more money but never do as I can't find a fault with them. They suit my needs perfectly which are for a detailed articulate sound.
Thanks mate, nice....👍

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom