Speaker recommendations for AVR200

O

Ovation

I've auditioned a number of speakers (dozens) and my final list include the following:

Monitor Audio Bronze Series 2x pairs of B2 with matching centre
Paradigm Monitor 5s,2x pairs with CC-370 centre
B&W CM2s up front, CMC centre, DM600s rear (to stay within budget)

Left to audition:

Boston Acoustics VRM Reference series bookshelves
Acoustic Energy Aesprit bookshelves (if I can find them reasonably nearby)
Mordaunt-Short 912s

Possible additional auditions:
Snell Acoustics Qbx series replacement (should be out in a month or so)
Dynaudio Audience 42s/52s (If I can free up some extra money)

I've come to like detailed, clear speakers during my solo auditions but after auditioning some with my wife, we've determined that she's very sensitive to high frequencies (Energy Connoisseur line was eliminated for this reason). She hasn't heard the B&Ws but I think they'll be vetoed as well. So far, she likes the Monitor Audio Bronze.

Any impressions as to warmth vs. brightness with any of the various speakers above with Arcam amplification? Thanks.

Hi Ovation,

I have a DV88+/AVR200/Dynaudio 42 setup and they match fantastically well. So I would definitely recommend that you have a listen to the Dyns. Actually, since you are aiming at music first, home cinema second, I would recommend that you invest more of your budget in a good pair of front and a centre and maybe make do with something more dodgy at the back. This is what I have done. I may eventually buy a second pair of 42s for the back or move my current front pair at the rear and buy some 52/52SE/72/122 or contour for the front. I'll see in the future.

Could you indicate what is you budget?

IIRC, you are in Montreal so the gear and price available for you might be different from what we have on this side of the pond. (the board is UK based but we welcome everyone) At UK prices, the MA B2 are a lot cheaper than the B&W CM2. I would have a look at the MA Silver S1 (clearer than the more expensive S2 both less boomy the the BW602). I also like clear and detailled speakers. My final choice was between the Quad 11L and the Dynaudios.

As I mentionned in your other thread, I would certainly have a listen at the Totem Acoustics Mite. Totems uses Dynaudio drivers in many of their speakers and from what I heard, they have a comparable clear and detailled sound.

Yan

I'd second the Dynaudio 42's, great speakers for the price, much better than the MA (imho)

John

I'll third that sentiment.

I have DV88+/AVR200 with 72/62/122C/SUB-30A. I'm getting an AVR300 and adding a pair of 52SEs.

Dyns are very well worth the extra expense. Awesome sound, never annoying, and work well in varying environments.

And they look great.

And I came to my setup from a NAIM/Linn LP12/Sara setup, which made me a picky listener.

If I had to do it over again with less budget, I wouldn't hesitate to get 42s all around, with a SUB20-A or a REL.

Dean

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried to find some Dynaudios in Ohio, where I'm temporarily residing (4-6 months) and there are no dealers within a reasonable distance and I can't seem to get any info on pricing. Since my first post above, I've auditioned the Boston Acoustics VR-M60s at home (my dealer loaned me a pair) as well as re-listening to the Paradigm Monitor 5s and sampling the Paradigm Reference Studio 20s and Phase Technology PC 1.1s. The Bostons and Studio 20s were both as nicely detailed (to me) as the B&W CM2s with the added benefit of being a bit "warmer". In fact, the Bostons and Studio 20s are so close (again to my ears) that it's literally a coin-toss for me and I would be equally happy with either set. For them, money will be the deciding factor. I'm working on a deal for the Bostons right now. If I can't get a good deal on either the Bostons or the Studio 20s, I'll go with the Monitor 5s, as they are nearly (though not quite) as nice and quite a bit less money.

My budget is 2500$ US taxes included. The Bostons and Studio 20s (at retail) are somewhat beyond that (if you include a sub and all five speakers).

Yant, yes music comes first but I have a number of multi-channel hi-res discs and so all the speakers are important (though I've been loaned a two-channel Arcam A65 by my dealer to audition speakers at home while I await my replacement AVR200--the first one I got lasted three seconds before it blew a fuse--and I've rediscovered the joy of a dedicated two-channel system)

Originally posted by Ovation
Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried to find some Dynaudios in Ohio, where I'm temporarily residing (4-6 months) and there are no dealers within a reasonable distance and I can't seem to get any info on pricing...

Here's what the Dynaudio USA site says (it lists only one Mobile Audio and no Home Audio dealer in Ohio):

"If you don't see a Authorized Dynaudio Dealer listed in your area, please call (630) 238-4200 to speak to one of our sales representatives directly."

If you give them a call, maybe they can help you.
My dealer is Music For Pleasure in St. Louis (314-961-5747). They might also be able to help (ask for Dwayne, but anyone there is great to deal with).

Here are the current US MSRPs:
42 - $800
42W - $900
42C - $450

So a set of 5 (42/42C/42W) is well within your budget. You could even go with 52s (at $1000) for the fronts.

Dean

Dean,
Thanks for the info. I will look into it. I know you don't work for the store or the company but do you know if MSRPs are firm on Dynaudios? I've encounter a couple of brands where the MSRP is firm and many that are flexible. Just wondering.

Originally posted by Ovation
Dean,
Thanks for the info. I will look into it. I know you don't work for the store or the company but do you know if MSRPs are firm on Dynaudios? I've encounter a couple of brands where the MSRP is firm and many that are flexible. Just wondering.

Depends on the dealer I suppose. I get a discount, but I can't say whether that's normal or because I'm a longtime customer.

Dean

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom