Speaker Recommendation

tazzo

Established Member
Reaction score
My mate is thinking of buying floorstanding speakers wit a budget of £200 - £300.

I dont know what amp or reciever he will be using as that decision has not been made yet.

He is just looking at speakers at the moment.

What do you guys recommend generally?

I saw the Mission MX3 which got 5 stars from whathifi.com

Has anyone had experience with these speakers, if so what is your take on them?

Recommendations and replies greatly appreciated.

Hard question to answer really without knowing what amp is being considered (if any currently) and also what music is generally listened to

If you've an idea re amp and can let us know what music he listens to; more ideas can be made then

Otherwise it's shooting in the dark really as there are a good few to choose from!

I have the Mission MX3s at the moment with the yamaha a-s500. I thought they were the best out of that price range, the only ones at that price i didnt audition were the Tannoy v4's which also got 5 stars. As for the Missions they are great speakers with a good bass range but it does all depend on what type of music is being listened to. I didnt like the wharfedale 10.3 or 10.4s i thought they lacked in mostly every area apart from the fact they were very clear.

Tell your friend the best option is to test them at your local store like Richersounds or SuperFi if possible.

:)

Last edited:
He listens to a wide range of music, mostly rock.

He has narrowed it down to the Tannoy V4's or KEF iQ5SE which he can pick up at a clearance for £249.

He would be using an AV reciever for the speakers for the sake of surround sound.

I know it is shooting in the dark, I'm going to try to get him to demo some before he buys.

He needs to as music via an AV amp into stereo speakers isnt always the best...

I feel the KEF's would be a much better speakers, as IMO they are - A lower priced midrange speakers in comparison to a budget range speakers

2nd hand would get him some B&W 603 S2's or S3's, Acoustic Energy Neo 3's or AE109's or possibly some M/A BR5's and IMO these are all better than the Tannoy or KEF speakers mentioned above

Just a case of hunting for them online, eBay and on here 2nd hand

Wat about hooking up the Kef iQ5SE with an onkyo 609, a good combination?

Wat about hooking up the Kef iQ5SE with an onkyo 609, a good combination?

Personally I think the Kef IQ series is a bit uncommunicative without a nice bit of power on the amp and some warmth. I'd be inclined to think it will work but be sub optimal. I'd be looking at Yamaha, Denon or a recent Marantz or to really smack the budget Arcam.

I know this is a stereo comparison but my mate bought a pair of IQ7s and I listened to them with his Marantz KI Sig 66 amp (a very good amp), he's very into guitar based music and it just wasn't as good as it should have been, just the combo of amp and speakers. In the end he ended up with an Arcam FMJ A38 (not cheap at all) and then the system really started to sing. If the IQ5SEs are anything similar then I reckon a better controlled amp with good power and drive is needed. Best thing is to demo.

I'd be inclined to get the Kefs because they are better than the other choices but bearing in mind they are going to need a good amp to really sing. The Onkyo while a good amp I don't think is going to be a good match in this instance. So I'd be lugging the speakers to a dealer and trying them with a wide range of £500+ amps (preferably £700+) and seeing what deals/reductions I could get.

Your mate has to understand that the Kef's while better speakers are going to need better amplification also and from personal experience of the IQ range can sound dull, uninvolving and flat unless given a good kick up the bottom and a budget AVR won't do that.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom