Question Speaker recommendation required

albsky

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Recently I have purchased an Yamaha RX-A2050 Receiver and now I am "hunting" for a 7.1.2 speaker configuration.
I have a limited budget of 800-1000€ and also I have limited purchasing places.

First I'd like to get the three front speakers (LRC), and I have found a couple of speakers for LR with a very good price (€140 delivered) and very good specs:
Magnat Symbol Pro 160
Nominal Output Power 100 Watt
Max Output Power 225 Watt
Magnetic Shield Yes
Additional Features Gold-plated connectors
System Components 2 speakers
Sensitivity 92 dB
Output Features Bass Reflex
Speaker Type 2-way - passive
Crossover Frequency 4000Hz
Frequency Response 30 - 30000 Hz
Recommended Amplifier Power 20 - 225 Watt
Recommended Placing Bookshelf, outdoor, indoor

Are those any good?
Specs wise, nominal impedance(4-8 ohm) and power for my receiver are OK.
What about frequency? Response, crossover?
Suggestions ...

THANX

Those speakers will work with your receiver but it deserves so much better speakers to get the best from it. If your budget was limited you would have been better spending less on the AVR and more on the speakers as this would give you a better overall sound. Personally I would use the full 1000 euros for the front 3 for now and then buy the other speakers as funds allow. I would also stick to 5.1 for now instead of trying to make you limited budget stretch over even more speakers and hence end up with even less to spend on each one.

Those speakers will work with your receiver but it deserves so much better speakers to get the best from it. If your budget was limited you would have been better spending less on the AVR and more on the speakers as this would give you a better overall sound. Personally I would use the full 1000 euros for the front 3 for now and then buy the other speakers as funds allow. I would also stick to 5.1 for now instead of trying to make you limited budget stretch over even more speakers and hence end up with even less to spend on each one.
Thank you very much for your reply, but except for being cheaper speakers, is there any technical detail that I must look for at a speaker?
Because, from my point of view, I would trust a German company with years of experience, and if the specs are here what can go wrong? :)

The problem is that the specs tell you nothing about how the speaker will sound which is the important bit.
You could look at the spec sheet of a £200 speaker and it may look identical to one for a speaker that is £10k (in fact some of the bits may appear worse on the expensive speaker) but when you hear the 2 speakers the £10k one will sound hugely different. The specs should be used to check it fits the requirements of the amp but should not be the basis on which speaker you buy.

So basically you are saying that if I see two speakers with the same specs I should go with the most expensive one?
Well, most of the time it should work, but what I am trying to find out are some suggestions based on the budget and required setup.

The most expensive does not always mean the best either. You need to go and listen to them yourself. I would ignore the specs as such, use price as an indicator of the ranges to look at and then go out and demo a few. Even with 2 speakers with similar quality one may be more to your personal sound preference hence the need to listen yourself. Yamaha are often recommended to be paired with monitor audio, mission and mordant short. But would also look at kef, q acoustics, canton and jbl.

My problem in my country is that I do not have much choices.
That's why I am trying to look at the specs and get opinions.

I have been demoed the Yamaha monitor speakers, but they were too expensive and amplified.
As my receiver is doing the amplification, I think that I am buying twice for the same function, so I am going for passive ones. Yamaha passive speakers that I heard didn't please me that much.

From the list you mentioned, I am afraid that the only possibility is JBL. Do you have any recommendation for any JBL speaker model?

Thanks a lot!

There is a make called Monitor Audio (not monitor speakers) and they make normal passive speakers.
Monitor Audio Website

Do not know the jbl range but given the receiver you have you would be looking to spend £2k or more on speakers to get the best from it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom