Speaker recommendation of change

Pendragon69

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just started creating my Surround sound system but have a bit of a mix of speakers.

Powering them, I'm using a Denon AVR2113.

Fronts: (Old but still really love them)
TDL RTL3 SE floorstanders.
35hz to 20khz
20-120w
8Ohms

Center:
Optimus pro 7av
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]90hz to 2kHz
80w
8Ohms

[/FONT]Surround:
Kef 7100
100w

Now I'm not 100% sure what I should do but was thinking I should do something with the matching of the front 3 speakers. As I think the sound from the front could be improved.

Can anyone give me some ideas what you would recommend me doing?

Really you want the front 3 to be the same make and model so that they match tonally. This can be achieved with different makes/models but can be a lot of trial and error. Hence, given your situation and the fact your fronts are quite old it is most likely going to be better to replace the front 3 with the same make/model. what budget would you have for the change?

Yeah, I have read about that and I would be really sad to see the rtl's go as really do like them.
I guess I would go to 400-500 but may just get a full 5.1 system to replace everything, as I don't have a sub either yet.
The other alternative was just to get a Center & Sub.
The only downside of full system's around that price is that they are book shelf speakers that need stands. They don't seem to be cheap either :S

If you can find a set the Monitor Audio Vectors would be worth looking at. These have been selling for £300 but used to be £700 so would leave enough for stands or wall brackets.

Ok thanks, will keep my eyes open for them. The others I have my eye on are the:

Q ACOUSTICS 2000i (For Centre & sub)
WHARFEDALE DX1 HCP

How do the vectors fair against these?
Any ideas on stands also?

The Vectors will be better than the Wharfedales and it will be close with the QAs (although the Vectors may just edge it). However, the QA centre may well not match your front speakers which would not be give a good end result.
As for stands, I would look at Atacama ones as these are reasonably priced but also look on ebay and classifieds here for some secondhand as can get some good deals.

Are the Vectors allot older than the other 2? As it seems not many selling the vector compared to the others.
Just noticed the QA's are 6Ohm, so that may not sit well with my fronts either.

Thanks, I will look them up. I used to have the Atacama's along time ago with some Missions. Wish I kept them :(

My dad has the Nexus and they are a good stand for the money. You only need spikes if your floor has carpet and I would not get the atabites.
The Vectors are not really any older than the QA or Wharfedale speakers. They have just been discontinued which is why they are being sold off.

Looked at some of the reviews & some said that it was mandatory to fill them up or they some of it's sound quality. Not sure how much that is true. As when I had some before, I did fill them with sand but never tried them without.
Sounds like the atabites are quite messy. Is that why you're against them?

It says they come with carpet spikes, so would I need the top spikes as well?
Which ones does he have? I guess I should either get the 7i or 10i.

Well if no one has any other ideas on speakers, I guess it will have to be the vectors. Shame they don't look as nice as the Wharfedales though.
Didn't think I would be able to match a center with my fronts because of their age, but there was always hope.

Against atabytes due to their cost more than anything. I think my dad has the 10i and they are not filled but sound fine and solid. No need for top spikes just use blutac to secure speaker to top plate.

I see what you mean about the cost, never looked it up before :S What would be alternative & cheaper?
I did always wonder why stands also need top spikes?

I've been thinking about a system with floorstanders and wondered which you recommend? Also what would I benefit over the book shelves?

Floorstanders give a bit more bass although if you are getting a sub this is not too much of an issue anyway. Some people prefer the look of floorstanders compared to standmounts at the front (I am one of those people). By the time you buy a standmount and stand then you are normally ar the same price as an equivalent floorstander. If looking at floorstanders then just look at the floorstanders available in the speaker ranges you have looked at already.
Kiln dried sand can act as a good substitute to atabites but again I would not really bother (I think kids play sand is the equivalent but sometimes cheaper again).

Yeah, I def like the look of floorstanders better as well. Something about them that looks so nice. So it's hard to make in mind to go to bookshelves. Looking about for the models above, I can't really find packages that have the floorstanders instead or am I missing them? The ones I have seen are very much more expensive.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom