Speaker re-think ??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by kingcobbler, Sep 16, 2007.

1. kingcobbler

kingcobbler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I currently listen to movies about 60% compared to 40% music. Almost all my music is on mp3 ready to be served by impending delivery of a Sonos system.

I get the feeling that the 104/2's are too good for the music being fed to them and can sometimes be a little harsh with anything but 320kbps mp3's

So, I currently have speakers as per my signature. I was thinking of replacing the 4 big boxes (104/2 and ref 1's) with 4 kef 9000 speakers then replace the Rel Q400 with the new SVS PC Ultra sub.

Total guesses for re-sale would be £500 for the 104/2's and £400 for the Ref 1's. Then maybe £400 for the Q400. Am I being optimistic? So £1300. The new sub is approx £900, then £250 for each Kef 9000 (are the stand extra ? ) which means I'll need to find £600 for the lot.

Is this good or bad ? Are my numbers way out ? Or am I just being mad :suicide:

2. skazz

skazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Given how cheap hdd space is, I have to wonder why you would want to compress in the first place... surely you could just leave everything lossless or 320kbit?

It seems a big shame to get rid of such lovely speakers just for want of a 50 quid hard disk to store lossless variants of your music on.

Then again, my own experience with Kef reference series is that they really really need plenty of watts and high current delivery from the amp to do their stuff, so I am slightly surprised your Denon is up to the job of making them sing in the first place... having not heard the combination, I can't say whether this might also be an issue for you.
    <edit: ah ok, 170ish watts into 8 ohms should be plenty of power. didn't realize the spec of the Denon KAVC-A1SE. never mind that last comment then>

3. kingcobbler

kingcobbler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I currently have all the music on a Freecom Mediaplayer 3.5 (gone be up for sale soon). But now have a buffalo Linkstation 500Gb plus a 250gb HDD plugged in the back of it, so I know have 750GB so I may well be digging out the CD's again and re-ripping them.

Space dictates a little I'm afraid and to accomodate a massive subwoofer something will have to give way. So from a movie point of view (I'll be keeping the 200c centre) I think the 9000 ACE's plus a SVS pc ultra will be better than I've already got, and will be fine for music.

Its just the Rel Q400 doesn't really hit that hard and if I have a big sub, it can take on all bass duties thus not requiring the big floorstanders. Thats the idea anyway !!