1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker re-arrangment and additions for 6.1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Ridcully, May 9, 2003.

1. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have the following setup

Front B&W 603 S3
    Centre CC6 S2
    Rear 601 S2
    Sub 675

Thinking about going to 6.1 and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. I'm a little confused on the issue of the extra channel in 6.1 & 7.1 systems. Is it a rear or a side channel? I know there is differences between descrete and matrixed but not worried about that.

I had thought of the following

cc6 s2 to the rear
    601 S2s to the sides
    buy LRC60 for front
    but this gives me a mono rear. Is this Ok ?

Alternatives I had thought of were

get another cc6 2nd and put both on the sides
    buy LRC 60 for front

or

get a set of DS6 (if I can find them) and put those on side

Any suggestions ?

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Can you find a friendly dealer to borrow an LCR 60 from? I'd then try that as your centre & the CC6 as the surround back - gotta be worth a go.

There should be no issues over only having one rear speaker if you have a "standard" sized room (my room is 20x15 & I have one surround back speaker).

I'm not familiar with the CC6 so I'm not certain if it will be "right" with your existing surrounds but there is certainly less concern over tonal matching of surrounds compared with the problems you'' read over fronts.

FYI I have 4 Kef Q1s (front / surround L&R) Kef Q9c (Centre) & 1 Kef Egg (surround back) & I think it sounds dandy. I used to have a Tannoy MXC as the surround back & this sounded fine but it was too big (physically)

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    I would try the LCR60 and also the LCR600 at the front ... you will probably find this is a better match than the CC6 is for your 603s2. This will leave you with the CC6 to use at the rear ... whcih will match well with the 601s

4. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    As far as I understand it, there is no such thing yet as true 7.1. Extened surround formats such as DTS-ES and Dolby EX have provide only a single rear channel (6.1). A 7.1 reciever will simply take that sixth channel and push it to two speakers.

There is an arguement regarding using a single rear speaker, two speakers, placed close togther or two placed further apart. (I'll leave you do do the searches on that one!)

As an aside....

One thing I've noticed with extened surround placements is that the recomened positioning for side channels is really to the side, in line with the viewing position.

This is at odds with the recomened speaker positioning for surround musci formats which suggest placement of surround speakers at angles to the rear.

Anyone figured out best placement for speakers in a 6.1 system to give optimum movie enjoyment while also sounding good for surround music?

Hope that helps somewhat.

Peter