1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Question For Newbie Please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bigjonnyauk, Jul 28, 2003.

1. bigjonnyauk

bigjonnyauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    HI ALL

I HAVE ONLY BEEN INTO HOME CINEMA FOR ABOUT A YEAR NOW AND LOOKING AT ALL THE LOVELY KIT YOU GUYS HAVE MAKES ME FEEL A BIT EMBARRESSED ABOUT MY SET UP lol

but i am now looking at other options of upgrading but cant do it all in one go so here goes

i have a phillips mx980 home cinema (yes i know its not the dbs like you guys have but cost me 300 and at the minute im very happy with BUT

i wonder just how great it could be with seperates

if i started buying just speakers and sub could i connect to the amp/receiver until i can afford another amp or vice versa

also just how much difference will i see as i said im a newbie but am very happy with my system at minute but like everyone want something better

also i still cant fully understand this setting my speakers to large or small what difference does tis make i currently have all set to small AS THEY ARE but when the bass kicks in it sounds how can i put it muffled but when i set to large it seems a bit clearer why is this

SO WHEN YOU STOPPED LAUGHING any advice would be nice

ps i was looking at that denon 1803 from empire and the eltax speakers from richer 250 quid i think they were

i am on a tightish budget so cant go into hundreds and hundreds is it best to stick with what i have due to limited funds ?

thanks

2. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    dosent matter what you have,you have to start somewhere,as for speaker settings check some older threads on this board,i did and found plenty of good advice from the good old boys on this board,

come on lads give him a hand:clap: :D

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have had a look around the internet and can find out very little about the Philips MX980 except that it is a combined DVD player, receiver and speakers.

It may be possible to upgrade parts at a time but I can't say for definite until I know what all the connection options are.

I have no doubt that the Denon amp and Eltax speakers will provide much more quality for you but you may also need to buy another DVD player if you can't output from your existing unit to a seperate amp.

4. bigjonnyauk

bigjonnyauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    my mx 980 mate does not have a inbuilt dvd player it is just an amp/reciver speaker package i have a toshiba sd 220 multi region dvd player the amp has loads of inputs lol

ill try and find a link mate there has to be one somewhere lol

5. bigjonnyauk

bigjonnyauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If the speakers are connected to the amp it should be possible to upgrade them seperately and I would upgrade the speakers first and the amp second as the quality of the speakers has a greater effect on the whole than the quality of the amp.

That is speaking generally though and you won't notice a really great improvement until both amp and speakers are replaced.

7. bigjonnyauk

bigjonnyauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    any ideas on certain makes that ae good i am prob limited to about 250 maybe able to push 300 for speakers and sub

i was hoping to sell mine to fund the new amp?

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you can run to the Eltax speakers from Richer Sounds I wouldn't bother with a sub at the moment. As long as you have reasonably full range speakers you can leave the sub until after you have replaced the speakers and amp.

9. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,838
    Eltax liberty 5 would be good for mains, only £99 per pair. I'm currently using a pair for my PC with a Cambridge Audio A5 amp. Nice floorstanders, good bass (espcially if you have a small room).

I'd agree with Ian re: leaving the sub for now. Buy an eltax set from RS if you can then save up for a sub later.

10. menalaus

menalaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi, for the amount of money you have available i wouldnt waste it buying new very budget speakers e.g Eltax etc as you will very soon become frustrated buy them as you upgrade the other components of you system. spend the money buying 2nd hand from other users of these forums (or even ebay, but mind you dont spend over the odds in all the excitement of the auction) you will definately get more for your money.
    i would consentrate on the front L/R and centre as you can use your existing speakers (or any old hifi speakers, as they wont need to be shielded) for the surrounds. e.g you can pick up warfdale diamond fronts for under £100 new (c/o ebay) and pick up the well respected ( in budget terms) warfhdale valdus centre for around £20 leaving money for a sub and cables when they come up for sale. this is just one example of many options that will blow 'budget packages ' away.
    Ian J makes a very good point about waiting to get the sub. a bad sub is worse than no sub at all IMO.
    if you can live with your current set up then do until the right stuff comes up for sale.

11. bigjonnyauk

bigjonnyauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    oh yes i am very happy with what i got at minute so can easily wait until the right stuff comes along

12. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    told you you'd get some help ,good bunch here.
    good advice about the sub,get good speakers first.:clown:

13. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,838
    Only thing you may have difficulty with initially is "spotting" those good bargains in the AV classifieds, if you're reasonably new to this AV malarky.

Read through the masses of info on the forums in these sections (amps/speakers etc) and you'll see the type of kit people are pairing up: there are countless "What will sound good with X amp, Y speaker or Z branded speaker?" - and often a host of replies.

When kit within a suitable price range comes up in the classifieds, theres nothing wrong with asking for specific advice on those items in the right forum.

i.e "just seen X in classifieds, for Y price, what do you think?"

You'll likely get a feel for prices and equipment quickly this way, although be prepared (potentially) to miss some sales due to reply delays between the forums.

On the classifieds however, be careful what you ask, as its the most heavily moderated forum. e.g Don't ask on the classifieds forum, "Is X piece of kit worth what Smurfin is asking?" on my for sale thread. It can get very messy (if you know what I mean). - so if you see that I'm selling some speakers in the classifieds, theres nothing wrong (in fact I'd encourage it) in asking in the speakers forum what people's opinions are.

Theres a number of people I often PM when I'm looking to buy something to say "what do you think @ this price?" and I often get good advice back.

Just my 2 penn'o worth:)

14. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    hi, for the amount of money you have available i wouldnt waste it buying new very budget speakers e.g Eltax etc as you will very soon become frustrated buy them as you upgrade the other components of you system.

Not true. I have Eltax speakers that have survived 2 amp upgrades and still deliver quality sound. A matched set of Eltax will sound better than trying to mix and match used speakers. Just my opinion, but your ears will tell you what you like.:lesson: :)

15. menalaus

menalaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi mylo, i personally think there are better budget options than eltax available in the classifieds but each to there own. i do agree that a mix and match approach to speaker manufacturers is not a great idea, leading to tonal imbalance across the front sound stage, but i dont feel that this will be a big issue at the back.

16. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Hello mate, totally agree about the rears I personally use Bose style bipolar cubes from cpc (not Bose style cost though). I have tried an Eltax package before and to be honest it worked well. With a copy of What Hifi you can get good prices on them from RS.
    I mistook your comment as anti RS/Eltax, no offence meant.

17. menalaus

menalaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    none taken mylo, i have no wish to side track this thread and the whole RS bashing has been done to death. what i would add though is that RS et al (online shops included) do have to sell what is in there shop and if its not what you came in for they will do there best to get you to spend your money on something else, regardless of whether its any good for your needs. so unless you know your stuff and are confident in your choice in the first place newbies (for want of a better description) can occasionaly be sold 'inappropriate' kit. this is i feel yet another good reason for people on a budget and/or new to all this, to use the knowledge and 2nd hand hardware available here.

p.s you dont work for RS do you :D

18. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    RS. never. I work on military avionics.:laugh: :smashin:

19. bigjonnyauk

bigjonnyauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    well theres seems to be a matter of opinion several set ups will have to look around

20. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Guy wait, the Phillips mx980 home cinema is an interated sat sub system can't just upgrade the speakers.

WHY?

The main problems with replacing the satalites with better speakers are:

1) The amplifier in the main unit has a preset/fixed crossover setting for controlling the mid and upper freqencies sent to the satalites.

2) As this crossover is set quite high (approx 120hz), if other speakers were used as replacements for the satalites the results would not be very good, there would be no bass at all.

3) The Amplifier is not rated for high wattage output or low ohm loads from its terminals this means standard hifi speakers would sound bad and run a serious risk of damage to the amplifier and speakers.

You will need to get a proper AV receiver to power new speakers.

21. bigjonnyauk

bigjonnyauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    micb3rd

nice to know somebody knows about the mx980 like i said im very happy with it maybe cuz its my first one and not really compared it to anything else

dont suppose you CAN tell me a answer to something i cant seem to fathom

when setting the speaker sizes is it best to set the front to large or small i know this has something to do with the bass handling regarding frequencies but not to sure which you think would be best i consulted manuel but it dont help much

also was looking at the denon 1803 amp

and i seen some wharfdale 8.3 front and wharfdale centre and same surrounds at superfi which prob total my budget would these be ok for the amp my room is approx 13x13 perfect square

22. bigjonnyauk

bigjonnyauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1029
    THIS FOR CENTRE 89QUID

THESE FOR FRONTS
    www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/727
    155 QUID

and finally these for rears
    www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1443
    AT 55 QUID

BUT CANT FIND A SUITABLE SUB

would these speakers go ok with the 1803 amp or any suggestions on maybe a different amp or speaker package

total budget maybe 600 quid and will this sound better than my current one which can be seen here
    www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/617-philips-mx980-av-system.html

23. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The Wharfedale 'screen 3' pack is a cheaper way to buy those speakers.
    £270 at QED-uk

It's an all diamond 8 package as it comes with Diamond 8.1 rear speakers instead of the Dipole/bipoles? you picked.

For amps you could look at the Yamaha AX640SE (no tuner) which is the new version of my AX630SE and other people swear by their Marantz SR4300's. Oh and Onkyo too.

....and it will sound better than your Philips.

24. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Sorry I don't specificly know about the Phillips mx980, most all in one systems run high crossovers and the amps are not really up to power bigger speakers to decent volumes.

In the end If you want to use new speakers a better amplifier like a Denon, or Yamaha, Marantz will give you much more flexability and sound a lot better.

The Wharfedale diamonds are a good choice for new speakers.