Speaker purchase

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by marc5180, Jan 12, 2019.

1. marc5180

marc5180
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    I recently moved into a new house and purchased a new TV and monitor audio speakers including Centre speaker.

In my old house I had the TV on the wall and small Jamo speakers mounted at the side of the TV on the wall, with centre speaker just underneath the TV. The sub was mounted underneath the TV on the floor next to a cabinet.
    I then had the rear speakers mounted behind me in the corner of each room and the cables were ran under the wall.
    All connected to an Onky TR Nx656 receiver.
    This set up was great and it served me well for 8 years.

However, my new setup just isn’t quite cutting it. Both my wife and I often say that we’re struggling to hear the TV and I think its because the room is large and we don’t have the rear speakers in this set up. THe living room floor is tiled and so it’s impossible to run a couple of cables to the rear of the room without some serious hassle.

Also the monitor audio speakers are mounted on floor stands and my 1 yr old just seems to be gravitated to them and keeps trying to pull them over and I’m getting grief on the mrs.

So my first question is - Is it possible to get wireless speakers for the rear?

Secondly - are there any good speakers out there that can be mounted at the side of the tv and on the wall so not too big/heavy. Maybe this system could tie in with wireless speakers?

2. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +625
    Two questions, what Monitor Audio Speakers are you using and how big is the room?

The Onkyo TX-NR656 is in reality quite a powerful amp, so it sounds like either the basic setup is incorrect, or your room is just to large and that tiled floor is cancelling some of the signals coming from the speakers.

Another factor is the volume, in a larger room, you will need to turn the volume up until it becomes clearly audible. If you are still running the volume at the levels you did in the smaller room and the amp hasn't been re-calibrated for the new room, this will be the real reason as to why it sounds poor

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  3. marc5180

marc5180
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry, the speakers are monitor audio bronze 2. Bought from Richer sounds.
    I recalibrated the receiver when I set up the system when we first moved in. The room is an open space kitchen/living room and is about 12m x 7m.
    I’m used to hearing the sound from behind me which is why I’d like to have the rear speakers.

4. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +687
    Massive room! How far you sit from front three (B2, Centre)? Long listening distance with highly reflective room could be problematic.

5. marc5180

marc5180
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    We’ve split the room in two areas, so the living room and kitchen.
    The living room where the TV is, is probably 6m x 6m and the furthest away we sit is 5m

6. ShanePJ

ShanePJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    There is no easy way of resolving this problem you have. The room is not speaker friendly and although the Bronze 2 speakers are a capable speaker, on their own, they just don't have enough to fill a room that size. I would seriously look at adding a centre channel if you do not wish to upgrade the Bronze 2 speakers, The Bronze Centre is the logical option

Now if you look at changing your amp to one of the latest Yamaha amps with built-in MusicCast, you can use a pair of Yamaha's MusicCast 20 speaker for surround sound duties without worrying about any cables other than the mains cables to power them. The amp in question will have to be something like the the Yamaha RX-V685 as your 656 is about this level

The room also needs looking at with some form of soft furnishings to break up the cold hard surfaces. Without this, no system is going to bring life to the room without adding harshness to the sound which will make it difficult to turn the volume up without it just becoming loud.

On another note, you are using a warm pair of speakers with a cold/harsh sound amp which will have balanced themselves out in a normal room, but as you have placed them in a cold/hard room. Because of this, you will have enhanced the cold/harsh sound of the Onkyo which could make it harder to turn the volume up without it becoming noisy. The Yamaha is a little warmer than the Onkyo which should also help in this room

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  7. marc5180

marc5180
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Shane.
    I’ve got the monitor Audio Centre Bronze 2 speaker but all three speakers just aren’t giving the desired effect.
    I would upgrade to a better system but would prefer for the speakers to be wall mounted but I suspect there aren’t any speakers out there that would be up to the job?

I know what you mean about the cold harsh sounding amp, we’ve put a large rug down hopping this would help but turning the volume up doesn’t necessarily make it easier to hear. We need something at the rear of the room.

I’ve never heard of the Yamaha speakers, are these any good as surround sound speakers?

8. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +734
    Rear speakers should only provide effects and no actual dialogue etc

I do not think rear speakers will solve your issue

9. ShanePJ

ShanePJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    I agree that adding rear speakers will not solve the problem, but, if your adamant in using rear speakers as an interim solution, running the amp in All Stereo should enable you to hear the dialogue better as it will use the rears in the same way as it uses the fronts. Again with signals which output surround sound formats, you would either have to down mix them to stereo or accept that the sound isn't going to be great. This is just papering over a crack in the wall though.

I still feel that looking at a different amp like the Yamaha will enable you to gain a little more volume in the room before the room takes over fully compared to the Onkyo. The Yamaha Speakers will be fine as rears even though they are a mix-match.

The Bronze 2 with the Bronze Centre should enable you to gain some audible dialogue in the room before the room takes over again. Also try not to place the centre within a cabinet as this will only amplify the problem in your room. The effects will be similar to you covering your mouth when speaking whilst in a large sports room as an exaggerated quote, but you get the drift as this would destroy the frequencies making it even harder for your amp to deliver a sound.

You really have a difficult room to work with, you will never really get it to work perfectly, but a compromised level should be achievable along the way with realistic expectations, although it may not what you once experienced in your previous home, but somewhere near.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,388
    Can you provide a layout plan indicating seating and loudspeaker/TV positions?

As above you need to concentrate on the Front LCR in a surround sound system or possibly better in your circumstances the Front LR and run a Stereo system - effects and rears are not relevant for delivering good dialogue.

Once you have speaker positions identified the choice of loudspeaker and also room furnishings come in to play - a solid wood floor adds reflections which can make dialogue tricky to follow, a rug on the floor in front of the loudspeakers can be a big help.

Joe