1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker problems ~ Advice...?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by KenVid, May 5, 2005.

1. KenVid

KenVid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:

Hi Folks, I've been lurking a while as I've been thinking of upgrading recently, but I've now been sort of forced into it and have run into a problem...

Let me explain (apologies in advance if this is in the wrong forum, and apologies for not explaining the problem very well).

Equipment was:

Amp: Denon AVC-1530
    Sub: Tannoy mSUB10
    Front Speakers: Wharfedale E20's (old)
    Centre: Kef 90
    Rear: Wharfedale "something or others".

Eldest daughter had a party for a few friends and hired the local church hall for the venue, and Dad to do the music.

AFAIK, everything was working fine when we'd finished, ears were ringing it was so loud, but it all seemed okay.

When I set everything up at home the next morning, something didn't sound quite right...

My Kef centre speaker has bitten the dust, but my front speakers now also sounded very distorted.

Thinking I'd killed the lot, I decided to upgrade the speakers, and went for Missions all round... But my front speakers (M33's) still sound terrible at low volume levels whether they are connected via the sub, or connected direct to the amp.

Having just managed to get the missus to let me buy a new speaker system, does it now seem like I'm going to have to upgrade the amp as well...? Or is there a solution that I'm not aware of...?

Thanks in advance.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Welcome to the forums. :thumbsup:

Definitely sounds like it's the amp to me from what you've said, didn't you check which components were damaged before you jumped out to buy the speakers?

It's worth double-checking you've connected everything up properly, make sure that you're only feeding a turntable (if you have one) into the "Phono" input on the amp and use different inputs for your other source equipment. :)

3. KenVid

KenVid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the welcome :hiya:

Switching the amp into Bypass mode (it's a Pro Logic amp, 10 years old, I wont mind updating it if necessary), the front speakers sound terrible. In Pro Logic mode, it sounds okay, presumably because the centre speaker is covering up the sound from the front speakers.

I think this has been like it for some time. I've also just done a quick experiment, and turning the volume up loud seems to rectify the problem...

Unfortunately :rolleyes: