Speaker Problem

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bluebearuk, Mar 9, 2005.

1. bluebearuk

bluebearuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Mordaunt Short Premiere Plus speakers connected to a yamaha rx-v1500 reciever. When I run the auto setup the centre speaker is coming up as REV as is one of the 302's. I have swapped the 302 around and the problem moves with it.

Is this a dodgy speaker or is it the auto setup that is the problem?

I am also getting W1: Out of phase, but the book is about as much use as a chocolate teapot for error handling.

Cheers
    Steven

2. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That usually means you've connected some of the speaker terminals black-red/black-red rather than black-black/red-red. Check both ends of all your speaker cables...at a guess the wires are backwards into your centre and one of your 302s.

You can check this independantly if you have a THX-certified DVD like Pirates of the Caribbean/Finding Nemo/Star Wars: TPM etc. There's a phase checking section in the audio setup.

I did that first time I wired everything up also - even when I knew to look for it...far too many wires into the back of an amp!

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,996
    If you tell me what REV means I might be able to see if it anything to do with the MS bit :blush:.

4. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The "W1: Out of phase" error does what it says on the tin...it's the Yamaha error code when you do auto setup.

5. bluebearuk

bluebearuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tons Of Fun: I assume the REV means reverse, but I will check tonight. I am getting sound tones through each speaker, which made me wonder if I have the sub set up correctly.

Mango Bob: I checked the wires, first thought. They are hooked up right.

Cheers

Steven

6. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Over to tons then! Check the phase independantly with a thx disc if you can - I seem to remember someone else had the speakers wired right but the auto-setup kept insisting the phase was wrong.

Do any of your channels sound dull/quiet in movies?

7. bluebearuk

bluebearuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know about channels, I do find speech quiet and everything else overpowering it but I think this is a level issue. One which I will spend time this weekend when I install my plasma.

Cheers
    Steven

8. cdchaz

cdchaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi there im new to the forum , i run my hifi/home cinema via 2 sets of Castle Severn speakers one pair is the Mark 2s, recently i felt i was not getting enough bass through my arcam cd72 thru the arcam FMJ amp, so i replaced the arcam cd with my old Marantz 63 KI SIGNATURE, WITH THIS SUDDEN BURST OF POWER VIA BOTH THE fmj AND THE kIs OWN AMP I HAVE BLOWN THE BASS CONE ON ONE OF THE MARK 2 SEVERNS as they are now deleted can anyone recommend a place to source the cone , im based in Whitstable Kent and yes i have emailed Castle a few time with no answer as of this time.

9. bluebearuk

bluebearuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think my centre and satellite are goosed, I put one of the 302's in place of the centre tonight and the difference was instantaneous, much improved voices. I will take the offending speakers back tomorrow.

Tons of fun: Found the answer on the other forum:

It means that the receiver has detected the speaker as being wired with the incorrect polarity. Check that the polarity is correct at both ends for that speaker. Do not forget to turn the receiver off if you find you have to swap the wires! It's easy to forget.

The receiver may mistakingly detect the speaker as being wired incorrectly though, so if you find that the speaker is connected right, you can ignore the warning and proceed with the setup.

Steven