1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker positions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by martin davies, Dec 30, 2002.

1. martin davies

martin davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

im looking to get a surround sound setup in my front room.
    speakers have got to be all wall mounted and preferably small.

i blame 13 month baby for that one !!!

firstly , which manufacturer do a totally wall mounted setup or do the fronts generally come as floor mounted ??

secondly, at what height do the rears " have" to be ? the reason being is that the house we have just moved into , the previous owner has already put speaker cable through the wall cavity to the " top corners of our rear wall" , so will this have major impact on what rears i go for ??

any help much appreciated

mart

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    What's your budget? What partnering equipment do you have?

3. martin davies

martin davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

i would like to say a budget of about £300 , but looking at the various sites, i dont think i will get much for that, so abit of slack is available !!!

as for the setup, well ive got jvc 28"tv, dont know the model nr
    and a newly accuired pioneer dvd 656a

so i will be looking for an amp/rec aswell on a different budget
    but all in all i was hoping to get both items for £500 ish !!!!!

cheers

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    A good starting system may include the Mission Cinema 71 system and perhaps either the Denon AVR1802/3 or similar from Marantz.
    The Mission 70 series speakers can be wall mounted,and have a good set of wall mounting brackets available(I used these prior to upgrading a while back).

This wont go much over your £500 limit,and should provide good results for the price.....the best advice I can add is to listen to as many as you can,preferably in your home,before buying,to avoid disappointment.

www.hifijunkies.com provide some very good prices,and ukpricerunner will also give you a good comparitive price rating on whatever you choose.

5. martin davies

martin davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

ive been looking into the mission 71 system and doing some digging on this website, but a few people have commented that the sound out of the rears is a bit " thin" what ever that means ??

the majority of use will be for movies, so did you have any probs with this system: ie sounding "thin"

also i will have to put the rears at ceiling height ( 8 ft) will this have any adverse effect on the sound , with the rears being bi-pol

cheers

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It's not ideal as the speaker reflects up and down as well as left and right. Ideally it should be a foot down from the ceiling and at least a foot away from the rear wall.

7. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Martin

Had the same dilemma myself a couple of years ago, didn't want our little boy poking out the drive units of my Linn Keilidhs.

I'm lucky enough to have another room from my 'proper' system so I got a Sony DAVS300 for the lounge.

It's ideal for this purpose, brackets are available for the speakers which are small, solid and have no apertures for 'enquiring' fingers!

I've hidden the sub behind the TV.

It's not the best performing system in the world (being kind here) but it's certainly child friendly, has speakers, amp, dvd and tuner all in one (you didn't mention if you've already got the electronics), and will do for a few years until our children are less inquisitive.

I'd have thought most of the current crop of these systems would fit the bill.

Unfortunately you'll still have to put up with Thomas the Tank Engine and the like on continuous repeat!!!

Cheers

8. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martin

Ooops!!!:blush:

Didn't notice that you'd already got the DVD player so an all-in-one system's no use to you!!

Happy New Year!

9. martin davies

martin davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks for replies

will try and lower rear speaker postions

is it ok to put the sub behind the tv, i was always under the impression it had to be " out" from the tv.

i looked into the sony complete system but decided to build up separates, so next is the amp and speakers and child proof cabinet to put it all in.

when they said the little rug rats where expensive , they werent wrong !!! so ive convinced the mrs that telly tubbies will sound great with surround sound ??

cheers and happy new year

10. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Telly Tubbies will sound great...

The sub should (in my view) be as near the centre front of the system as possible and behind the TV should be fine.

The front centre, left and right speakers should be at ear level as you sit and listen and the rears (in my view), should be at roughly two thirds of the height of your room as close to the rear wall as possible.

My front speakers are on top of the TV (centre) with the left and right on top of shelves at the same height.

The rears are wall mounted on stands, while the sub is next to the TV.

And it all sounds great...