Speaker Positions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Leeray3, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Leeray3

Leeray3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right I need some opinions.

I have attached a drawing of my lounge and really need some advice on where to position my speakers (Once I have bought them).
    I have included my opinion of where they should go but really need some expert advice. I have included a set-up for 7.1 but am a little unsure on whether or not my lounge is big enough.
    I would appreciate it if you could suggest:
    a) which setup would be best suited, either 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 (would prefer the later 2) and b) how they would best be positioned.

I am currently looking at getting the Denon 3802 for 7.1 or the Denon 2802 for 6.1, what ever set-up is best. I am looking to match this up with the Def Tech's procinema.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    Hi

Just one thing to bear in mind, with the 3802 you have the option of either one or two surround back speakers.

Biggest problem I can see is that you have your main surrounds to far forward of the listening position (the sofas). You need to bring those further back. Trouble is that means you will have no depth between those and the surround backs and you need some depth for the effect to sound convincing.

It might be worth only using one surround back and have that mounted to the left of the door and angled down towards the gap between the sofas. But you´ll still need to bring the main surrounds back along the outer walls.

Experimentation is the key to getting it all sounding great.:)

3. Leeray3

Leeray3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So your suggestion would be this.
    I was only considering the 2802 as a 6.1 option as it is around £100 cheaper

Attached Files:

4. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    Almost. Just need the RS a bit further forward, about halfway between the original diagrams position and the second diagram.

Then you´ll need to play around with the angle of the speaker, in towards the room etc.

Experimenting is the key to getting it all sounding right.:)

Cheers

5. ZZR

ZZR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just get the Mission FS2's, no need to worry about positioning then and they are more suitable for smaller rooms.