1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Positions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cwoj, Jul 22, 2004.

1. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am glad to say that i am now the proud owner of a new set (5.1) of kef 9000 ace's... :thumbsup:

Having played about with them they sound great, however i am now looking to wall mount them..

I'm not 100% certain that the rears should actually be mounted behind you..Are they better left and right of the listening position.?

The wall brackets leave the speaker completely flat against the wall? does this matter? :lesson: With floor stand you can angle them from the corner of the room, but I want to wall mount them. I would ask friend to hold them to test them for the best position, but they are very heavy and by the time I run the eq setup…. :boring:

Cheers
    Cwoj

2. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Technically I believe surrounds should be at your side pointing at you, about 3 feet above your head. I've never been able to do that and mine are behind by about 3 feet. I also believe that for SACD the behind position is recommended. Very confusing. Anyway, you'll find huge gains to be made from angling the speakers. The difference in soundtage can be staggering and pointing directly at you is a good place to start, then try angling them wither way until the speakers 'dissapear' as much as possible.

As for wall mounting, do they have rear ports (holes)? If so it may pay to bung them up with either proper bungs or I use acoustic foam. Cuts down bass boom hugely. Again trial and error is the best way.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
  4. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Joe

That’s kind of where i thought they should be but the brackets don't allow you to angle them from a flat wall.

I guess my only option will be to make some sort of bracket? any one else have any ideas?

I'm i just over reacting?

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    cwoj

It may be worth confirming with KEF what dispersion pattern your speakers have before 'angling' them - many of the flat 'on wall' speakers are pretty diffuse anyway and the 'toe in' you require with conventional cabinets is not such an issue.

Otherwise a timber wedge behind the standard bracket will do the trick.

Best regards

Joe

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The brackets supplied with M&K rear speakers are also for fitting flush against the wall and that is how I have mine fitted - about 6 feet off the floor and two feet down from the ceiling on the side walls.

7. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Ian, how far back are they from you seating position and how close are they to the back wall? is this for a 5.1 system?

8. Breitling

Breitling
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would double check with KEF technical for the ultimate listening position
    :)

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    18" forward from the rear walls firing across the seating position from the side walls. It is a 5.1 setup as direct radiating rear speakers directly above my head wouldn't work and I don't think another pair of bipole / tripole speakers is the answer either.

10. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ben from Kef has just confirmed that they are best suited at the sides a little behind the listening position and not to worry about the back wall too much.

Thanks for your help guys