1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker positioning?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Merritt, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok - so I now have a nice pair of Kef Q1s for my front left and right channels & the amp should be arriving tomorrow. Now to speaker positioning.....

I've always believed that its best to have the front speakers as far apart as possible but there is 'guide' in the KEF box that suggests that the speakers should be at least 1m away from side walls in the room and at least 23cm from the back walls in the room. In my room - this now means that the speakers are approx 1.5m apart and 23cm away from the wall so they are only just wider than my plasma screen....

Is this entirely necessary & what effects am I likely to introduce if I ignore this and move them further apart?

Cheers

Steve

2. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I believe that for normal stereo listening, further away and toed in slightly is better. But for HC closer and pointing straight forward.

I can only really get my Q1s a few metres apart anyhow so just leave them there and slightly toed in all the time :)

Sounds fine to me :)

The speakers are around 70cm from the rear walls.

Dave

3. gilmore

gilmore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    positioning closer to rear\side walls will increase bass output (possibly make it a bit too boomy) - positioning away from rear wall should add a bit more depth to the soundstage

the q1s are front ported so close to rear wall shouldn't be too much of a problem for you

4. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think there are two issues here, positioning for stereo effect, and positioning for sound quality.

The norm for good stereo is for the listener to be at the apex of an equilateral triangle, i.e. you are as far from each speaker as the speakers are from each other. If the speakers are much further apart than this the image tends to collapse towards the speakers, giving a hole in the middle, if they are much closer together the image width is reduced.

If the speakers are to close to a corner the sound quality tends to suffer, becoming coloured and less clear. I think this is what the KEF guidelines are refering to.

However all these are just recommendations. Start with these and then move the speakers around 'til you find a position that suits your expectations of image size and colourations.

Bill

5. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys - when my amp turns up, I will have a play!

Cheers

Steve

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Just a small point to add - my Q1s don't seem to suffer from being close to a side wall (currently the left speaker is only about 15 cm from the wall).

I have them about 11 feet apart toed in about 10 degrees.

7. MrPumpkinHead

MrPumpkinHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently use my Q1’s in a smallish room with only about 0.5 metres between side and rear walls.

They sound fine to me, although bass below 80Hz is sent to the sub which probably helps.

Don’t forget that you can also use the foam bungs in the front port if you find the speakers boomy close to the walls.