1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Positioning

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by neilc, Oct 21, 2002.

1. neilc

neilc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a little bit confused ... I'm in the process of converting my garage to a (small but dedicated) cinema room. The room size is 4m x 2.5m

I've been reading the various mags and have visited a few outlets, but even the same companies but different stores give different advice.

I'm torn between three speaker set-ups:-

1. M&K package (K7x3,K4x2,K5x2,MX125 MkII)
    2. Mordaunt-Short 500THX
    3. Crane Ocena

... to be honest the first two are winning. However, apart from the second being THX which are the better speaker, bearing in mind now that the first is twice the cost of the second, which in turn is twice the cost of the third.

Also, for Dolby 7.1, should the side and rear speakers be positioned at head height or at ceiling level ? ... I've been unable to find the info anywhere as to which is better.

Hope you can help.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not much experience here, but i can give you opinions I have heard!

M&K's are generaly very nice, but on his forum there is a lot of bad feeling towards them due to their treatment of one of our most respected members. Resultingly there are now many will refuse to buy from the guilty distributor......but you could still listen. I reckon they would beter the MS set, but that is based only on some very foggy info. As far as the cranes go, wel i hadnt heard f them until this morning!

Have you considered the Gallos? They seem to be fantastic from what I hear!

I think side rears are meant to be up high, but i could be wrong. My 5.1 rears are as high as i can get them....

ad