1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker positioning...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bobby, Nov 19, 2000.

1. Bobby

Bobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I move house in about a month and have been looking around at speaker stands and speaker positioning.

I have four B&W 601s2's and a CC6s2 all bi-wired to my DSP-A1, From what I've read it seems the tweeter should be at about ear height when mounted on stands, from a quick measure up I'm looking at the Target Audio TR series at 600mm height plus 300mm from the bottom of the speaker to the tweeter brings it at 900mm just under ear height, now...

• Is this correct or are there better options (I don't want wall brackets again).
    • How does the speaker fix to the stand? the brochure talks about top studs or isolation pads
    • Does it matter that the top plate is smaller than the bottom of the speaker?
    • I've been reffering to the Dolby site for speaker set-up, are they talking crapola or roughly right?

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59

1)Try and get some stands that will make your rears higher up, preferably by about anothe speaker height. To about 1m at base of speaker, 1.3m at tweeter. Try Atacama SE1000si.

2)Top studs are basically top spikes, these are fine as they will isolate the speaker from the stand.

3)No, the base plate should be smaller than the speaker. It would look a bit stupid aswell if it were bigger.

4)Dolby seem to be fairly good at this sort of thing since they invented surround sound.

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'
    MiB 1997

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

3. Bobby

Bobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, I did read the dolby site about placing the rears fairly high up but I just imagine them as looking daft perched up so high. I can just see one my bafoon mates coming along and knocking them off, would it add to the whole effect if they where that much higher?

4. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    I asked a similar question a few months back and the answer I tended to get is that it is RECOMMENDED to place the rear speakers higher up.

BUT for me this was not pratctical. At present im using B&W601s as rears and they are too big for wall brackets and until I make something that will hold them steady I have left them on stands at the back of the room and am more than happy.

As an experiment I did put each one on top of a bookcase and the soundstage at the rear did open up but only SLIGHTLY.

5. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe not too much help, but I had the same dilema with rear speaker positioning. In the end I bought di-polars and put them parallel and above me (6ft of ground). Fantastic resluts.

6. lukas

lukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IS Dolby talking crap?

In my room they are. I have a very small room and I have experimented for months for the best set up. I now have my fronts pointing towards my sitting area, crossing in front of me. The rears are about 50cm behind me. Next to your ears gives a more spectacular sound, placed behind you gives a wider soundstage (which you'll eventually prefer I think).
    Try to place your speakers in some kind of circle, so center (if you use one) and fronts at the same distance from you.

Just try and you'll hear what you like most.

P.S. isolate the wall behind your fronts, it'll be the best thing you've done in setting up your system.

7. Bobby

Bobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know if the Atacama SE1000si are fillable? The atacama site doesn't say but some other stands are described as fillable, I emailed Atacama but have so far heard nothing from them, how come some companies just don't give a crap about customer service these days [​IMG]

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I don't know if they are fillable but suspect they will be. They are made from a long odd shaped tube, which should be hollow, which means it should be fillable.

I am buying a pair for my Xmas present!

Look around for a good deal, somewhere around £80 is good!

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'
    MiB 1997

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.