1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Positioning

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mobily, Apr 22, 2005.

1. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

I hope that this is the right forum to post this.

I currently own a sony dav s550 all in one cinema system which I use for music and dvd's. My front speakers are approximately 120 cm apart and 15 cm either side of the television.

What is the ideal position for speakers when listening to music and movies? I'm hoping to upgrade to seperates for music listening and keep my sony just for movies. I presume that for a better music experience having the speakers wider apart would make for a better soundstage?

Any help or comments would be gratefully appreciated :)

2. richard76

richard76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. sekrof

sekrof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mobily,

I've personall found that seperating the 2 front speakers by using this rather rough guide works well:

n = Lenght-of-front-wall / 4
    Left-speaker-placement = n
    Right-speaker-placement = n * 3

(so basically an equal division of sound stage space).

You can then align the center speaker above or below the primary viewing screen at n * 2.

Some people like the centre speaker high (I do), but then some of the best sound systems I've seen have them right next to the floor - I guess it depends a lot on your viewing angle and distance from screen.

By using the above rough forumla, and assuming an evenly proportioned room, you should at least be giving equal an equal sound stage areana for the sound to disappate and reflect through.

It's worked for me, but I'm no expert. Others in this forum should be able to give a far more detail guide for speaker placement, and it's bound to have a lot to do with the kind of speaker you are using.

My 2 cents.

A>

4. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Unfortunately there is not a generalised best position because your room acoustics are different to everyone else's. However try to make sure what where you position one speaker is mirrored by the other. In crude terms putting a speaker near a wall will increase the bass but at the expense of the sound stage and so is a matter of compromise.

Get the acoustics right and your AV sound will also improve dramatically