Speaker Positioning

sneaky

Standard Member
Firstly place your Cenre speaker bang on in line with you. The left and right speakers will then be 30 degrees either side from this point.

Using the Centre still as 0, then place the rears from either 10 - 120 degrees from this point.

This is the defined placement by the ITU (ITU-R BS.775-1) for the placement of loudspeakers in dubbing theatres. Or, in fact where the films are mastered.

Interestingly the standard has never been ammended for 7.1 as it is not yet widely accepted. There are several schools of thought on the placement of these channels.

Subwoofers should typically be placed between the left and centre speakers (or on the right) making sure it is not in the centre of the room, or right in the corner
Firstly place your Cenre speaker bang on in line with you. The left and right speakers will then be 30 degrees either side from this point.

The Above is from X3ELS

The questions I have about it are.

1) How high should the front and back speakers be.

2) Which way do the front speakers face - are they angled towards the mid sitting point or do they fire at 90 degress to the front wall.

3) Do the back speakers fire at each other.

4) Is it best if the sub faces the sitting point or fires across the room.

Thanks

Chris

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
1) Ideally you need the front speakers at ear height when in the listening position. If this is not possible then at least have them firing toward the listening position by angling them up or down etc.

2) The main speakers are generally 'toed in' towards the listening position (see above).

3) Again, they can be angled to fire directly at the listening position. Mine however are about 1-2ft above my head when sitting and firing directly at each other (though about 12' apart) Angling them down in my case was not an option, thus they are lower on the wall. Dolby's site, linked below suggest that they should fire at each other and be 2-3' above the listening position.

4) The best place for a sub is generally regarded to be on the front soundstage but moving it about can increase the performance of it dramatically depending on room acoustics etc.

More info Here

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
Originally posted by sneaky
TSteve,

Thanks very much - Ill have a look at the dolby stuff.

Chris

It's worth a read, but, be aware that unless you have a perfect shaped and sized room then you will have to experiment to get the best sound and positioning.

Re-reading it, mine seem to be in the ideal position but i'm not fully sure that mine are set up correctly so I am borrowing a set up disc and an SPL meter to get the best out of it ;)

sneaky

Standard Member
A little of thread, are Polk a good speaker.

Never heard of them but I am very new to this. One more point, I notice that you have a Yamaha 496 - I have a 795 but dont know whether to trade it in for a Denon 3803.

It all ifs when and maybe's.

Chris

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
I am extremely (read: extremely) happy with the Polks which I bought second hand from another forum user. I have heard quite a few speakers in the last few months as a trip to the Bristol show allowed me to, as well as trips to see other forum members (although their systems beat mine into the ground :( ) The Polks are the first 'serious' speakers i have owned for AV

I'm not familiar with the 795 but i do know that i has a consistent output with all channels driven. My 496 was the first AV amp that i used and although it works fine i am looking to upgrade in the near future to something like a 3803 which I think would outperform the Yamaha, particularly as it has more flexibilty as far as processing is concerned.

Nobber22

Originally posted by sneaky
A little off thread, are Polk a good speaker.

Nah, they're crap. Gullible Steve bought them off a dodgy member on these forums who saw him coming a mile off. Just don't tell him. ;) :D

No seriously, they are not very common in the UK, but they are highly regarded and those that have 'em, love 'em. :cool: Worth a demo if you can find a dealer.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom