1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker positioning with TV in corner!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by adamtodd, Jun 11, 2003.

1. adamtodd

adamtodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to set up surround sound in my lounge - probably a 5.1 system using a Marantz amp. However, my TV is located in a corner of the room, facing diagonally out into the room, because there's a whacking great fireplace that means it can't go in the centre of the room.

With the TV in the corner, will surround sound work? And where's the best places to position the speakers? In all four corners of the room, as I would if the TV was in the centre of the wall? But that would mean that the front right speaker would be almost directly next to the front centre and bass speaker, which doesn't sound good.

Any advice on this sort of setup would really be appreciated!!!

Adam

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Unfortunately many of us have this problem which is one of the curses of modern housing.

I have my left speaker three feet to the left of the TV and the right speaker six feet to the right on the far side of the fire place.

It's not perfect but it works fairly well.

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Same problem here - I've found that it helped to take a couple of dbs out of the right speaker below that recomended by the SPL meter. The only time it causes any problem is with things like dialogue coming from off screen.

4. stevej

stevej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  5. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem, decent placement of the rears would have been impossible and I couldn't even think about upgrading to 6.1.

so i waited until my gf went out and shifted the room round, now speakers are all perfectly placed and I can easily add an extra rear speaker!!

6. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a plasma and mounted over the fireplace.... no problems with speaker placement now...:D

7. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Have you seen the layout suggested by WHF? for corner placement? They seem to think this is what 6.1 was invented for. Basically, you put the middle rear in the diagonally opposite corner from the TV and the left and right rears near the other two corners. (Am I making sense?) This way, it doesn't matter where you sit within the TV viewing angle, you are always going to be between the L and R rears. This L and R rear positioning would be too extreme without the middle rear. Well, it makes sense to me though I can't try it for myself.

8. adamtodd

adamtodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all this info!! I think I see what WHF are getting at, and it seems to make sense. The rear speaker goes diagonally opposite the TV, and the rear L & R speakers go sort of half way up the two rear walls (the two that aren't touching the TV).

Presumably, that means that the front L & R speakers have to go halfway down the two front walls, which would mean one of them going in the fire, but I'm sure I can solve that!!

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The only way to get it right is move the TV.

10. adamtodd

adamtodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In an ideal world, I would move the TV, but as I say, there's a big fireplace in the way. Very inconvenient I know, but unfortunately my home wasn't designed with surround sound in mind - I guess they didn't have it back in the 50's!

So I need to find the best configuration with the setup I've got.

11. helenj

helenj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the same. I just put casters on the TV stand and when I want to watch a DVD, roll the TV out to the middle.