1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Positioning - Where Should I Put Them?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by OvertoneBliss, May 29, 2005.

1. OvertoneBliss

OvertoneBliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to be buying an AV Receiver soon and some speakers + subwoofer.

I'm just wondering though, how far up and across should speakers be situated?

Is it ideal to have 1 speaker in each corner of the room and the centres' dead centre. OR, should they be situated in proportion to the "normal" listening position of the person watching the movie?

I'm thinking that I can put 1 speak in each corner of the room and then adjust the sound level via windows so that if the speakers to the left are further away, they can actually be louder to compensate for this.

Also, should they be below or above ear height?

My setup will be for Stereo (Music) and DTS/Dolby (Movies) so I'd like the best overall setup.

Vielen Dank,

Phil.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The best thing is to arrange it around your listening position rather than just using the room's geometry as a guide. Electronically compensating for bad positioning is no good at all I'm afraid.

You really need to have the centre speaker either on top of or below your TV. You then need your front pair equidistant from this ideally at around the same height - experimentation is important here. Trying to keep the tweeters at around ear height is a good guide.

For the back you have a little more flexibility but trying to keep the speakers equidistant from your listening position is vital if at all possible. I prefr my rear speakers a metre or so higher up than the front speakers but plenty of other people have differing opinions. :)

3. OvertoneBliss

OvertoneBliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for the reply.

The way I'm looking at it, is like a Cinema. Every will be sitting in the same place, yet they'll experience the same "amazing sound" as everyone else.

My listening position will be pretty much in the centre of the room anyway so using the rooms layout as a guide is probably the better option for me.

About experimentation; This would be easy except for the face that, one you've put a wall bracket up for speakers, you can't exactly take it out and try it somewhere else. For these reasons, I think my best bet would be to do it the way it is in a cinema; which is to fit all the speakers according to the room's layout, which is ok for me as my "position" as mentioned earlier, is very central anyway. :)

Phil.

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I appreciate the wall-bracket problem, it affects most of us!

There's plenty of advice on positioning available - the Dolby and DTS websites have some excellent guidelines to follow. Just remember that cinema's are designed and built exactly for the purpose rather than the speakers just being put somewhere suitable. :)

5. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to the ITU 5.1 spec, the fronts should be at +/- 30degrees from the centre channel, and the surrounds should be at about +/- 110degrees from the centre channel. I have my fronts a bit further apart for a wider stereo effect, only works if you're going to be playing all your material in virtual surround. It may be tempting to put your rears further back, I'd advise against it as a lot of sound effects will sound odd, both on movies and on music. (I used to have this problem where I used to live and had to have the surround channels too far back.

You mention using windows to alter your speaker volumes if they're not quite balanced. Your AV reciever will have on it the option to set levels for individual channels and also set the distances from your listening position. I'd strongly suggest using the reciever to do that, not your computer.

6. demostenes

demostenes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem at home, i'm planning to place the rear speakers near the ceeling and the front and center below the TV with the sub near a corner :nono:

Could u guys help me out :lease: im attaching a plan of my room and you'll see why :suicide:

Thanks, Nuno

Attached Files: