Speaker positioning sense check

Marky1973

Hi, just taken delivery of a DENON AVC-3700H and am in the process of setting it up with my speakers (see signature).

My room is set up as in the diagram below - its a basic room, 3m square and I have a 7.1 set up that was running with my old DENON 2310.

I have the expected F, L+R, Centre and two rear surrounds, but also two F Height speakers.

I have two quick questions.

With my old amp, I had the rear speakers set as Surround Back speakers, but wondering if that is correct and, as they are on the wall and "level" with the sitting area, should they be set as Surround L+R or does it not make any difference?

Second question, as I plan to move to a basic Atmos Set-up, should I just get some small surrounds and place them at position A and set them to the Height 2 terminals.

Actually, maybe a 3rd question - I presume I don't have to get Atmos speakers as they are designed mainly for sitting on top of existing speakers so they are angled to fire up and reflect the sound. Would some small atmos speakers set vertically on the wall work - so they woudl be tipped towards the middle of the room?

I appreciate the locations might not be ideal, but I'm working the room as best I can! :)

Cheers
Mark

1614433893513.png

password1

On a 5.1 the rear.speakers are usually callee surround sides and in a 7.1 setup the surround backs usually refers to the 2 speakers behind the main listening position (mlp)

Marky1973

Yeah, that's what I thought while reading the Denon manual... For some reason had the rear ones as surround back before, no idea why, but wondered if there is any real difference.... Will add them as surrounds this time as that seems to make more sense with their position.

password1

if the sound track is a dedicated 7.1 material it should make a difference but if its 5.1 the extra pair of rear speakers are typically the same signal but shared with the extra pair of rear speakers so no difference.

Marky1973

So if moving up to atmos, probably best to set as surrounds rather than surround back in 9.1 set-up?

Marky1973

Sorry, meant 7.1.2,but presumably you can add additional height speakers for atmos? Rather than SBs?

Marky1973

Yeah, cheers, that was the plan, to go to 7.1.2 as I already have two front height speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom