1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Positioning for 7.1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sijones, Jan 13, 2002.

1. sijones

sijones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I need some specific advice for positioning my speakers in a 7.1 setup. My room is about 16ft. long x 10ft. wide. I will be installing in-wall direct radiating speakers. I know the side surrounds should be in the sitting position but I can really sit anywhere at the rear of the room. I want to know what the optimal positions are for the 4 rear surrounds. i.e. How far apart should the speakers be on the back wall? How far should the side surround speakers be from the back wall?

I am currently in the middle of having an extension built on my house and I need to tell my builder where to put the recesses in the walls for the speakers. Please help as I need to tell my builder tomorrow!

Many thanks,

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the two rear speakers L/R on the side walls (facing in) just infront of the seating area, and the surround back speakers L/R on the wall behind, the distance apart depends on how far your front speakers L/R are positioned. Surround back should be positioned inside the front L/R measurements. If your fronts are 2m apart S/B should be less than 2m and no less than 1m

Mine are about 2m and fronts are 3.5m apart.

Height is set at about 1.5/2m or about 60cm ubove ear level when sitting.

If still in doubt try downloading a manual for a 7.1 amp it will have diagrams to explain, not very detailed but will give you an idea.

Hope this helps.

3. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    THX says
    The two fronts should be 120degrees apart from listening position.
    The two surround channels should be to the side "just" behind listening position
    The two back channels should be 60degrees apart from listening position.
    Regards