1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Positioning - Call me Anal!!!!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by WBC, Aug 11, 2003.

1. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Please look at the attached images. My current setup (NOT TO SCALE!! :zonked: ) Is image A. My subwoofer was behind 'Sofa B' and sounded cool until my cable died!!!

I'm sure my new sub position is not good (I can't rip off the skirting and re-run the cable, as before) so it's new home might have to stay :( .

Anyway, back to my question, Should I reposition my back speakers to 'image B'??????

It's not alot of ****ing around to do, but it's alot of hastle to move, just to test!!!!! Any theories??????

2. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't work out how to add two images. Too hot, Too much beer :smashin:

By the way I usually sit on Sofa B!!!!!

My theory is that the sofa's are so close to the back wall (probably the same in most households) that Image B might give me a better sound??????

I can't say I've ever thought about it before, but as previously mentioned, the wife is at work......I'm hot.............I'm p*ss*d!!!

:D :D :D

3. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I would say yes to repositioning the rears, i think you would notice a massive difference. I have a similar layout and my rear surrounds are toed right in just like in the second image.

Shame you can't move your sub back, have you noticed any depletion of performance?

4. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I've seen recommendations of pointing your rear speakers into the corners or directly up at the ceiling. (assuming they are monopoles).

This apparently gives a slightly more diffuse sound in close quarters like those you describe.

Caveat: i have not tried this myself but am only suggesting as something I've read and that you might consider.

Peter

5. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Steve,

Thought as much...........Don't know why I didn't consider it before................:devil: Never knock the power of Beer, I'm sure some of the best theories have come from alcahol !!!!!! :devil:

As far as the Sub's concerned I ran all of the cables whilst decorating and refitting. Bastard cable cost me about £60, never did think it sounded perfect, must have been a rogue nail :nono:

I looked at the 'skinny' cable offered by IXOS/Gamma (can't remember which) but it won't fit under skirting boards. I might (reluctantly) have to put up with its current position.....Can't say I've had the chance to check out the Sub as yet, I'm currently using an old phono cable to see if it worked (all this happened over the weekend). If it's not down to the cheap cable then it generally sounds ****!!!!!

I'm going to move the speakers this weekend, Hope your right :zonked:

Stace :D

By the way, to prove my theory on beer, some famous quotes!!.......................................

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
    -- Dave Barry

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her.-- W. C. Fields

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me.-- Winston Churchill

Whiskey and Beer are a man's worst enemies... but the man that runs away from his enemies is a coward!
    -- Zeca Pagodinho (Brazilian songwriter)

And for those that have been there................Why is American beer served cold? So you can tell it from urine.
    -- David Moulton

My personal favorite...............
    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.-- Frank Sinatra

6. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You forgot the Quote from Churchill When Accused by a woman at a party of being drunk his reply was " That may be true but in the morning I will be sober but you my dear will still be Ugly "

You will notice a decent improvement moving the speakers to the side wall, make sure they are sitting out away from the back wall level with your position, about 70-100 cm above your head and facing towards each other not towards you.

Hawklord put this on another thread it is a good link - http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTheater.0110.html#s3.2

By the way you are not anal Last time I moved my room round (and it will be the last) I spent about four hours positioning and toeing in my front speakers to get them sounding just right for my seating position.

7. richgtfc

richgtfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stace

I take it from the above you've wooden floors? I have and hid all my cables by buying some small square trunking from B&Q, nailing it to the skirting board and ran the cables inside. Actually looks quite smart. Please ignore me if you haven't got wooden floors:D

Rich

8. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got wooden floors but the missus is a syle guru, I'd never get away with that :devil: !?!?!?! :(

I've proposed that as long as its hidden, I'm gonna get a big ass drill bit and drill the span of the fire place and run the cable through there. (The fireplace is not used for fires :smashin: so the cable has no chance of melting!!!!)

The AV cabinet can never be moved because all scarts, aerial, sky & speaker cables run under the floor and are presented behind the cabinet. I should hopefully have it sorted this weekend!

Stace :D

9. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I had a room once where I had to sit close to the back wall and as meep suggests I bounced the sound off the ceiling. It worked for me and is worth a try. I have also had the rear speakers up on the wall just in front of the listening seat and firing backwards into the corners. This is also worth a try.

10. aimprod

aimprod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0