1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker positioning any system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by OldSkoO1, Mar 24, 2005.

1. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi All,

Regardless of what system you have where have you put your speakers?

Front Surround Speakers
    I placed my front speakers 1ft away from the TV because i read this is the distance the sound guys record frontal effects in releation to the picture.

Centre Speaker
    The centre speaker is directly above the TV, but is ideally placed behind the screen canvas for those lucky ones with rear projection.

Read Surround Speakers
    The rears were more important to me though, especially in living rooms. I had them on stands at ear level at the sides just behind the seating position and firing across more towards the TV. I tried firing at the ear but that turned out to be too distracting for my taste. I also tried deflecting off the wall to reduce the intense rear surround, to stop the sound direction from being too obvious. However this wasn't 100% affective. Since then i've wall mounted them 3ft above ear level to the sides and slightly behind on the side walls firing across the seating position and slightly inwards (towards the front of the seating position); and just a little over 1ft from the ceiling. I read that they should be between 1.5ft and 3ft above ear level. Some people say the higher the better and some say they have to be more than 1ft from the ceiling. Some say putting them in corners increases bass, i seem to agree with this. They also said to point them downwards. I've tilted slightly downwards by about 25 degress simply because i dont want too much downwards pull as they are mounted on AVF surround brackets holding denon speakers on plasterboard on one side which isnt an ideal combination.

Wall mounting has very noticably improved the rear surround effects and the sound is much less disracting, evenly distributed and very spatual now.

Subwoofer
    Last but not least the Subwoofer is next to the TV to supposidly at depth to the dialogue (despite reading that low frequencies cannot be detected accuractly anywhere in the room). They say to experiment with the sub.

I've posted this because after spending lots on a decent surround sound system you want the best sound and i've done lots of research on speaker positioning and this seems to be the best i can come up with. So i'd like to share all the realitivly accurate findings. Definatly wall mounting the rears is so much better. Not all the things ive read have come from respected sources like dolby.com. Therefore i'd be interested in what others are doing.

2. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    It sounds like youve done the sensible thing and experimented with a few different speaker positions.
    What you've ended up with is probably the commonest arrangement, and for many the ideal positioning.
    The only thing I'd suggest is moving your front pair a bit wider apart,toed in slightly, see if you like the sound.

3. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    You've highlighted exactly what i forgot to say. Although im restricted to around 1ft (bookcase) and to keep symmetry, i do have them toed in at around 20 degrees. I do think that improved the frontal surround effects but would benefit if they were slightly wider.

As i understand the toe-ing in gives the impression of sound actually being directed in for each side again widening to sound stage like the rear positioning does. :)

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My front stereo speakers are nearly 4 feet away from each side of the TV. This is too far apart in a fifteen foot square room, but I have no choice.

I would say that at a viewing distance of 10 feet that the speakers should be approx 2ft from the TV's sides.

I prefer the centre speaker directly below the screen.

Rear speakers are tricky. I've ended up with mine 1.5ft above seating position focused on the centre of the room.

Jimmy

5. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    From What I know the Front speakers, Front Left/Right, Centre, Sub, should be level with the screen be TV or projector screen. In the case that your projector screen is so large from floor to ceiling the centre speaker should be right behind and the screen achostically transparent. If you have 5.1 and are using dipoles they should be everside of the listening position. In the case of 5.1 with normal speakers they should be behind and angled in like the front left right.

For 6.1 the centre speaker is right in the middle behind, but not right behind, the listening point.

For 7.1 the speakers should be equal distance apart accross the room. i.e
    I=wall
    I SpeakerspaceSpeakerspaceSpeakerspaceSpeaker I

All surround speakers should be at about head hight on the wall or stands and aimed down towards the listening point.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215