speaker positioning advice please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by paulmapp8306, Feb 2, 2009.

1. paulmapp8306

paulmapp8306

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    So - Im going back to 5.1 from a soundbar know the missis has been converted - BUT

our room is not great - and because of other furniture that Im not allowed to move, I,m gonna have to wall mount all 4 "outside" speakers (FL, FR, RL, RR) and in the top corners of the room.

This isnt a problem for the rears, but not ideal for the Front L and R. Will I get away with it, or will it compromise the sound too much? If I do this can I get wallmounts that will allow me to tilt the speakers down slightly?

I could live with the soundbar for another 18 months till we move home and get then if its not a good idea.

Thanks in advance.

2. Matyam

Matyam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The rear speakers are fine high up at the back,the centre could go where the soundbar used to go but the fronts mmm how bout some 6 foot speakers wall mounted at top and a monolith sub fixed with a couple inch and a half 8s now thats got to be WAF:devil:

3. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    The recommendation is that the fronts should have the tweeters at eat level height, with the speakers located to form an equilateral triangle with the seating poisition. The cente should be as close to the height of the fronts as resonavly possibly. Obviously with the layout you are suggesting you aren't going to get this, unfortunately I can't comment from experience what effect this will have, but I think having the centre that far of axis will be noticable, especially as sounds pan across the screen.

The rears would probably be fine up in the corners, they are supposed to be above ear level anyway, but you probably when to get brackets that can be angled down slightly.

I don't know the amp or soundbar you are using, but is it possible to drive separate rears from the soundbar or amp, this may be a better temorary solution (i.e. soundbar for LF,C, RF and additioanl rears)?

Chris

4. paulmapp8306

paulmapp8306

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Ummm - thought this woundnt be easy.

The Soundbar is a Yamaha YSP-1000. Dont know off hand if I can add rears. that could be a good solution if possible, as the front soundstage is actually quite good with the YSP.

I could, for now, put All 3 front speakers where the soundbar is now. Center in centre, L/R on their sides at the outer limits of the TV Table (just bigger than my 42" TV)This isnt going to give me great stereo image but would be more ballanced (L/R sounds and height).

I know the general rules (I do a lot of studio sound engineering and have a home recording set-up) - just wondering the best way to fit stuff in till we move.

Any other suggestions?

5. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Sorry, your soundbar doesn't allow any other speakers (except a sub), and won't take multi-channel in (which would have allowed you main amp to treat the soundbar as the front 3 channels and drive the rears itself).

You could go with 3 front channels placed where your sound bar is, but you would presumably be limitingto fairly small speakers, which you may later regret in your new home if it can accomodate something larger.

Personally I'd wait if you can live with the soundbar, or maybe treat myself to a sub now, at least you know it will work with any future purchases.

Chris

6. paulmapp8306

paulmapp8306

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Yep - size is everything.

Id like something like my old Castle 7s (the missus made me give them up) but she wants small speakers - even the L/R ones.

Im hoping to get away with this as the use will be roughly:

75% TV (Sky HD)
    10% Blue Rays
    9% Radio (over Sky)
    6% CDs

The monitor audio stuff looks OK - with rears being the Radius 45s, Center being the 180. L & R would be 45s too if the mrs gets her way - or 90s if I get mine.

Failing that the 1010is look OK - as do the Wharfedale 9.1s. However I dont know actually how high these are.

If I put them where the soundbar is, Im restricted to 21cm in its current form - with a max of around 23cm as I could raise the TVs mount.

I would be prepared to have my L/R speakers horizontal to fit for now though if that helps.

I could maybe persuade the Mrs to stand mount the L/R IF there descrete stands & Spkrs. She did even suggest (this is how all this started) an "all in one" Slim Tall boy system system (sony I believe) she saw in currys - so Im hopefull. That would mean a L/R Speration of approx 115cm as the stands would HAVE to be next to the TV table. Not great for music, but should be alright for TV/Film shouldnt it?

Come the new house I should be able to "spread" things - although she really does like her TV in a corner so may still have to stick to wither side of the TV.

So - other suggestions for speakers - or positioning?

7. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Just a comment on the 9.1's which I usually happily recommend (you can see mine using the link in my sig), but they are very deep (almost twice as deep as they are wide), and don't even think about putting them on the side - it's curved.

Chris

8. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
  9. The_Wizard

The_Wizard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    The 1010i's are W x H x D (mm):150 x 215 x 195
    and the 9.1's W x H x D (mm):194 x 296 x 278

10. paulmapp8306

paulmapp8306

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    looks like the 1010is are pretty much a perfect fit then :)

Centre, left and right on the TV table under the TV, rears high on the back wass in the corners.

11. The_Wizard

The_Wizard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Just an idea but would you not be better off with some bipolars if you are going highup on the rear corners? Just a thought (even though i have some for sale in the classifieds! :rolleyes:)