Question Speaker position in my odd shaped room...

sukh singh

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi peeps,

Having my house re done so a nice opportunity to get my speaker wires sunk into plaster in the living room.

I have an odd shaped room (pic attached sorry about the quality best I could do at work) I am going to wall mounting everything bar sub and receiver.

The speakers I have decided to go with q acoustics 3000 package.

Not sure about placing the centre under TV or tucked away in the fire place.

The fire place is too deep to mount TV as any one sitting on the bay window side of room my not be able to see it and the large fire my cause me issues.

What are your thoughts on the speaker lay out. I am novice at this kind of stuff so my have it wrong! ...I am undecided what we will use the top half of the room for (the side with bay window) but ideally want the TV to be visible if I do have extra seating/ sofa there.

Thanks in advance, Sukh

B10628EE-FE3B-4963-8AE3-A0B9365504DD_zpstbeq1kpo.jpg

There are always compromises in a living room environment, as well as other rooms as it happens.

But there are things that you must really try not to do. And with yours, you can't have the centre speaker all the way to one side of the TV. Nor can you have the front right speaker at the other side of the room. The whole thing will just sound completely bizarre.

Thinking out of the box, can you remove the fire place ?

Or, can you mount the TV on the same wall as the fireplace, in the centre of the available space or even toward the left a bit.

You will have many more options to position the speakers and your furniture will move accordingly.

If you have no children you could put the TV and centre speaker on a cabinet in front of the bay window which seems a popular choice for many members. Good heavy curtain behind it all.

There are always compromises in a living room environment, as well as other rooms as it happens.

But there are things that you must really try not to do. And with yours, you can't have the centre speaker all the way to one side of the TV. Nor can you have the front right speaker at the other side of the room. The whole thing will just sound completely bizarre.

Thinking out of the box, can you remove the fire place ?

Can't move the fire place I'm afraid plus I've just spent £££ fitting it!

I think the pic is not in correct proportions as I think I may more space than I have shown. I think I can mount the TV centrally on wall on left of fire.
Keep a speaker on left of TV (same wall) and another speaker on the other side of fire so essentially treating the lager space of room as a square room sound wise centre speaker can go above amp under TV?

Having the right speaker on the other side of the fire is the wrong thing to do.

Compromises with speaker positioning are usually when they have to be slightly out of the ideal position, not completely out . . . in bizarre positions.

If you have no children you could put the TV and centre speaker on a cabinet in front of the bay window which seems a popular choice for many members. Good heavy curtain behind it all.

Got a little dude who will trash it all hence why I'm thinking of mounting as much as I can on walls.

So
Having the right speaker on the other side of the fire is the wrong thing to do.

Compromises with speaker positioning are usually when they have to be slightly out of the ideal position, not completely out . . . in bizarre positions.

So what would be the compromise if the TV stayed roughly where it is?

Or should I just use a different speaker set up?

If going for what you have just described, position wise it will not work. Why not rethink your speaker package and go for a 4.1 layout by dropping the centre speaker. That way you could bring the left and right fronts closer to the TV thus creating a pseudo centre as in a standard stereo set up. This could put everything in a neat configuration to the right of the fireplace. It will sound a lot better than having those 3000s so far apart and completely out of balance.

So

So what would be the compromise if the TV stayed roughly where it is?

Or should I just use a different speaker set up?

An exaggerated explanation but it'll help to get the point over.

The TV has built in speakers. Imagine taking those speakers out of the TV and putting them to the other side of your fire surround. How do you think that would sound ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom