Speaker position advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by marcus2704, Feb 2, 2009.

1. marcus2704

marcus2704

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I need to mount my two new Kef IQ10s either side of my chimney stack.

[​IMG]

Ive a bracket from Kef which (heartbreakingly enough) requires me to drill holes into the speakers in order to mount. I need advise as to the best position for the speakers.

The listening position is directly opposite (room is 12ft), ear level would be just below the level of the bottom of the LCD screen.

Aesthetically speaking, I would say high up either side of the stack close to the ceiling is best, but have concerns as to how badly this would affect the sound quality.

I could mount them lower, perhaps alongside the top or bottom of the LCD, but here my partner is wanting to put shelving etc, but could be swayed if the benefits of having them more ear-level are demonstrated.

Id say a standmount is out, the room isnt big and we really need to get things away from the floor wherever possible.

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    Is this a pure stereo system, meaning, of course, that it only has two speakers?
    No center? No Surrounds?

If no center, then you have a little more flexibility, with one small provision. Think of a cone of sound coming out of your speakers, and from the center of the speaker, a straight ray, a line that is perpendicular to the front of the speaker. You generally want to be in a cone of sound that is no more than 30° from the center line ray in any direction.

As frequencies go up, the speaker starts to beam; that is, the cone of sound begins to narrow. Outside of a (+-) 30° arc, the high frequencies drop off substantially.

I wouldn't mount the speakers too close to the ceiling, but they could be up near the top of the TV screen, or slightly above, if they are pointed down at the listening area. If they are pointed straight forward, you will still hear sound, but the highs will be diminished.

In your case, I would mount them, from a horizontal perspective, roughly in the center of the space along side the fireplace; from center line to slightly toward the brick from center line. If the you want more bass, move the closer to the outside. The corners will re-enforce the bass, though I realize that only one is truly in a corner.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard