Speaker popping sound

mjohare72

Standard Member
Reaction score
Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver,Boston acoustics soundware xs se home cinema speakers and sub.

Every now and then I am getting a loud popping sound coming from various speakers.
Sometimes the sub gives a loud bang and the receiver turns off.
I had Q acoustic 10101i speakers connected to the Onkyo before and never had this problem.
Can anyone give any advice why this would be happening.
Thanks

Why did you downgrade your speakers from the QAs?
Does the popping happen with a range of different sources or the same source?
If it is a range of different sources then it could be a fault with the receiver. If it is only one source then it could be a cable fault.

Thanks for your reply.
The popping sound is from all sources(Blu-Ray player,Sky HD BOX).
The equipment is housed in cabinets below TV.
The sub is in a cabinet next to the receiver(it wasn't there with the QAs)and I have now moved it to somewhere else in the room as i thought this was causing interference.
The popping has only happened once since I have done this.
It's very hard to pinpoint exactly when the popping happens as it is very random and can be any of the 5 speakers and seems to be worse when listening to something with a DD or DTS soundtrack.
The wife is the reason for the downgrade,need I say any more.

Good job you moved the sub out of the cabinet since it would not have sounded good in there and the vibration it would have caused in the unit would also have not done much for your electronics (including your receiver). There was an issue with DTS and a popping sound but was fixed with a firmware update so have a look here:
The DTS MA bomb is back !!! | AVForums
If that is not your issue then it could be a receiver issue. I did have an issue with an optical cable a while back that as it started to fail gave sound issues like pops etc. but if this was your issue it would only be on one source.

Thanks again for your reply.
What you saying about the position of the sub makes a lot of sense now I think about it.
I'll try it over the next few days with different sources to see if this cures the problem.
Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom