1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker pop

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Curry Monster, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Curry Monster

Curry Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the strangest pop from my HC setup yesterday when I played Joe Satriani's Live in San Francisco dvd. The pop from the speakers occurred exactly when the transition of two channel stereo (menu section) kicked into DD 5.1 for the film.

I did notice it did not happen again if the audio track is selected for DD 5.1 first. This problem seems to specific to this dvd disc only as I have tried it out with other discs.

Is this normal or something broke on the amp?

My setup is Marantz SR6300 with MS Premiere speaker pack and Sony DVP725D.

Cheers.

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Some amps are worse than others with "poping" when changing source, decode mode, etc. It's to do with the muting circuits. Has it just done it once ... or does it do it regularly? This could be a one off or a symptom of a more serious problem.

Vikki

3. Curry Monster

Curry Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only noticed the problem on the Satriani dvd. I've got a very large collection of discs and have not had a problem with them. Note the amp is about 2-3 months old. I think (fingers crossed) it just one of those things.

Thanks,

M.

4. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had this with my arcam avr100. With some discs it will pop but with others it wont (I cant remeber specific titles). Anyhow, I've had it for over a year now and no probs yet.

Is everything earthed properly?

5. Chrissywis

Chrissywis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the DVD doesn't conform to the proper audio specifications, you can get problems with splats on startup. There's something about needing X amount of silence before audio starts, I can't remember how much. My DVD of The Terminator puts an horrendous splat across the speakers once Play is selected from the menu.:mad: