1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker plinths

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by quadmad, Jul 19, 2002.

1. quadmad

quadmad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another option would be to build some stands using a technique used on some deck plinths.
    :)
    Cut as many as required MDF (note toxins given off by this material) or ply wood - thickest you can find into relevant size

Drill holes through sheets so that a long bolt can pass through all sheets - preferable 3 or 4 bolts so that the sheets can be stacked and bolted together, you can counter sink top and botton sheets so that bolt head and nut are flush.

This will allow you to screw the pieces of wood together at any degree of tightness to tune the plinth to suite, you could also introduce various materials between sheets to suppress vebrations.
    :cool:
    You could even allow the bottom of the bolt to protrude which would allow you to file it into a spike for further isolation from the floor and once they are all screwed together can be treated as one piece of wood ie stained, painted etc;)

2. quadmad

quadmad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry this was supposed to be a reply to PFM's post - i'm new to the forum :blush:

3. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Quadmad,

I found your post & I take it that you have now found out how to reply to a thread:D

It sounds like a very good idea indeed and I think I might have a go at knocking some up as stands to suit my AE's dont seem to be available (probably because its an odd request). The thing I like about this idea is that I can also vary marterials, height and mass loading (tweak by tweak).

How would I go about finishing off the MDF edges (is it that kind of Iron on tape that is used in kitchen work surface edging)

Cheers mate:D :D :D

4. quadmad

quadmad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, well the sheets can be profiled to match the speakers i.e curved corners as opposed to right angles, yes iron on could be used on the individual sheets before assembly otherwise you could glue on strips of wood veneer, beware of MDF as the sawn particles are cancerous and the wood gives off toxins during it's life

If you use ply wood this will have the striped end graine which can look quite good and is the look used by a high end speaker manufacturer - you could also shamfer the edges a little - this is a nice touch, as with the new garrard 601 plinth, if you want to check this out go to loricraft.com :)

Hope this helps