Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Speaker Placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by aa_uk, Jul 15, 2003.

1. aa_uk

aa_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can you please give me some suggestions on speaker placement in the room below. Current speaker positions are shown.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,433
    Get a plasma and hang it above the fireplace :devil:

If that is not possible then I would recommend swapping the 2 seater sofa with the TV and then putting the surrounds either side of the sofa facing the TV.

Mark.

3. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As above really with the TV on the opposite wall but 180 degrees about from the current layout as it may be difficult to position the rears in the current layout due to the door, mine are wall mounted. Get the Front speakers as wide as possible allowing for the door, you will have to watch the speaker near the door if you have kids. I am assuming you do not live alone as you have seating for 8, any chance of getting rid one of the sofas???

4. aa_uk

aa_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used your suggestions and come up with a couple of ideas. Let me know what you think.

PS. Can't get rid of sofas, big family as you've guessed!

Attached Files:

5. aa_uk

aa_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's the second idea:

Attached Files:

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Your third idea would be a disaster as sound is supposed to be focused on the display device.

I can't tell the scale from your drawing but the fronts should either be as in the original drawing if there is sufficient space either side of the TV or else the second option with the right speaker to the right of the fireplace. This is how I have mine and although it isn't ideal, it works.

I'm not sure how you could position the rear speakers to give surround sound to all three sofas but I would stick the rears on the back wall and make sure that I sit on that settee.

7. bunkerbuster2

bunkerbuster2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would really consider a flat display... those front speakers in the corner will be booming away like theres no tomorrow!
    You'll find you have a much clearer soundstage with them either side of the chimney breast.

8. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am assuming you have a centre speaker on or under the TV? No chance of moving the TV to the middle of one of the side walls?

If you are stuck in the corner with the TV and you have a centre speaker, then your first alternative is better if you sit in the middle of the sofa opposite the fireplace, arrange the fronts so they are equal distance from this seat, and angle them in so they cross over just in front of you, it wont do a great deal for AV but you will find a wider stage for stereo playback. My only concern now would be the front left speaker is very close to the side sofa and you may find this will absorb some sound and give a slightly uneven response. If it is an option keep the rears as high and wide as possible about a meter above your head is good.

9. aa_uk

aa_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply guys.

Would it sound better if the front left speaker is higher than the sofa, as in the picture below?

Also, is it better to have the centre speaker below the TV?

If i place them rear speakers either side of the sofa would this be wide enough?

Attached Files:

10. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    With what did you draw these diagrams, or are you just quite artistic ? They seem really usefull for describing speaker placement,

11. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes it would be good to have the speakers above the sofa but be careful not to put them too high, ideally the tweeters should be around ear height, the centre speaker should be at the same height (within a foot or so) as the fronts so in your case on top of the TV would be the best option. Rear speakers either side of the sofa should be OK it will defiantly be an improvement over your original set-up although only for people on that sofa and specifically in the middle seat. Do you have a speaker distance setting in your AV amp?

12. aa_uk

aa_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had another thought, i see that most people seem to have the front speakers either side of the TV as in my original setup, is this better than the 1st alternative, where i had one speaker next to the tv and the other further away?

I dont' have a AV amp, I'm using a Dolpy Pro-Logic Receiver which has 6ch Dolby Digital Input. I'm looking for a DVD Player at the moment which has built-in DD and DTS decoder. I've narrowed it down to: Pioneer DV-656, Philips 963SA, Toshiba SD-520. Any suggestions on what i should go for?

Would using the built-in decorder setup be an improvement over using just dolby pro logic?

How much of a jump in performance is it if i use a seperate AV processor, such as Yamaha E800?

I'm not that artistic, i used the following program, Room Arranger, which is available at http://www.roomarranger.com

13. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You could get a dedicated 5/6 channel receiver Marantz SR4300 or similar and a cheaper DVD Player Tosh SD330 for similar or possibly less money and use the internal decoder on the AV amp to decode the data (DD & DTS) then you will also have Pro Logic 2 for TV, Video or Satellite. This should be a MASSIVE improvement, but it all depends on which amp & speakers you have?

14. aa_uk

aa_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using the speakers that came with the Technics Pro-Logic System. The System is rated at 320W (RMS). The speakers are rated as follows:

Front: Total - 160W (Music) - Whats with the "music" in brackets?
    Centre: 120W (Music)
    Rear: 60W (Music)

What do you think, any good for dolby digital?

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Probably not and if it is anything like the Technics system that I bought in 1995, definately not. For a start Dolby prologic had mono rears that weren't full range so your rear speakers are probably not full range either.

Home Cinema seems to be a fast moving technology and I would strongly suggest that you buy a more up to date AV Receiver which will cope with all the current formats including Pro Logic 2 which many find far superior to the original Pro Logic.

The problem is that the shortcomings from your speakers will be even more apparent and you will end up replacing them as well.

16. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Consider the following, with the (top) wall that has the fireplace taken to be North:

1. Move TV to sit against the West wall (avoiding all Yiddish jokes), with 2-seater in NW corner.
    2. Place FL & FR speakers on either side of TV
    3. place SL & SR speakers on either side of 3-seater on East wall (avoiding all Berliner jokes)

You might also like to check out

here

where I describe how I came to turn my back on the telly, and use my HiFi main speakers as AV surrounds!

Have fun

Ditton

ps Centre speaker should definitely be under/over the TV - its the focal point of the dialogue after all. Also, for those AV nights, perhaps you have to move the settees (or just the people) so that they sit face on to the telly. Some could sit pretty, others in front on the floor, and some must stand behind, selling ice creams.

{ Invalid url corrected by Ian J }

[Many Thanks - ditton]