• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Speaker placement

danbl

Established Member
I have just bought the Mission E80 5.1 package, which I will be installing on Monday. I am wondering where to place the rear speakers, as the rear left is going to be very close to the main seating. I have 3m cielings, so could concievably mount the speaker above the door.

Also, how close can I have my front speakers to the centre speaker? Is it safe to mount them either side of the TV?

Attachments

• livingroom.jpg
    livingroom.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 68

mhuk05

Prominent Member
There are some diagrams on the Dolby website for positioning and heights of speakerds.

Centre goes under or above the screen. Fronts either side, with tweeters roughly ear height when seated.

Rears can either go beside or behind the seated postion, depending on speaker type (monopole or dipole) and room topology. It's often a compromise between what sounds best and what is possible/ pratical.

You can also try them in a few positions before deciding where to put them. I moved my rears after a few weeks after first using them....

JamesWilliams

Standard Member
I would spread the speakers round the room so they are as far apart from each other as possible (but avoiding corners).

Above the door should be fine for rear. Fronts should be the same height if possible and equi-distant from main listening position

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom