Speaker Placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by synnag, Apr 24, 2001.

1. synnag

synnag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help! Help! Help! Please someone. I keep being told conflicting advice on rear speaker placement. Some say as close to the ceiling as possible and pointing inwards towards my ears. Some say at ear level. Some say behind me at approx 5 feet above the floor. It's driving me mad I keep drilling holes in the walls. My system is DPL at present but I will be soon moving to DD.
    The speakers that I am trying to locate are the normal front firing (if that's the correct terminology)type and front ported.
    Sorry this is so long winded but I really need some INFORMED advice. Thank you to all in advance.

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I don't know about informed but here's what I found with my setup (using monopole speakers i.e. your forward firing).

I actually had some spare stands to use to mess around with positioning before I wall mounted them (which I din't bother doing in the end cause I liked them on stands).

Basically I put them about 3 foot behind the main listening position, with the speaker aiming accross the room, and angled towards the listening position by about 15 degrees. This seems to give a reasonably diffuse sound field without becoming to aware of single points of sound. The stands put them at about ear hight when sitting.

You could always do what I did and temporarily and put them on stands and move them about until your happy, I actually prefer the speakers on stands because they do sound slightly better they produce more bass than on the wall.