Speaker Placement

Ross Martin

Standard Member
Hi All,

I hope this is in the right place to ask.

We are having some work on our house done and the opportunity to get a new 65" TV.

I also want to get a an Atmos speaker system as well.

The below is the layout of our living room and i would welcome advise about what is possible with our layout.

I have been told by SWMBO that the TV must stay where it is however we are removing the false chimney breast and creating a false wall to put the TV on with some floating cabinets.

Front Room.png

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Ross

Last edited:

gibbsy

Front three are easy although it looks as though standmounts would be easier to place over floorstanders, the front left being too close to the corner. Surrounds are your problem with the two doors in the rear left position. If the door to the stairs is kept closed then bi-poles on the stair wall may be your best solution. These will have to be placed fairly low if wanting Atmos.

If the ceiling can be used for the Atmos speakers then that would be best. However looking at the back sofa position then two in ceiling would be your max, roughly in line with the front of the sofa giving you a 5.1.2 set up. Your room doesn't look too big and provided your ceiling height is between eight and fourteen feet then you could use modules placed on top of the front speakers.

A Monitor Audio 2 would suit your room for the base 5.1:
Monitor Audio Bronze 2 AV Home Cinema Speaker System

Atmos speakers depends on type and location and can add an extra £600 for a pair of top rated KEF R50 modules. KEF would also give you a significant 5.1 improvement with R300 and R600C for the fronts with R800ds as surrounds but that would be a considerable financial outlay and require a high end receiver.

Ross Martin

Standard Member
Hi Gibbsy,

Thanks for your feedback.

I forgot to put the dimensions on the drawing! So the TV wall to the divide is about 3.6m. From the back wall to the TV wall it is just over 5m. I will update the picture above!

I can use the ceiling so that is easy, will be adding LED downlighters in anyway so happy to put ceiling speakers in.

The back wall is actually a stud wall that i could put in walls in if that helps?

The ceiling is just over 2.4m high.

I have looked at the Monitor Audio Bronze package before and i like the look of them and the better half liked them as well. If i could get all speakers in for £2k then that would be good. Looking at a new amp as well as my Onkyo is about 13 years old so no 4K support. I was looking at a Yamaha RX-A2070 or equilivant.

Thanks Again

Ross

Ross Martin

Standard Member
Hi Gibbsy,

I forgot to add i am open to in walls at the front as well and then buying a seperate sub. Although £2k is what i have in my head for speakers, we do watch a lot of films and as we are getting about £70K worth of work being done on the house i am happy to pay more for speakers so i get it right first time!
Also where would the rear speakers need to be behind the sofa, at head height when sitting?

Thanks

Ross

ashenfie

I am not sure in wall speaker would help. The sofa next to the kitchen would be better nearer the door. Then a Surround speaker behind the two doors which appear to overlap. The sofa might be better slight further out and the TV slight more central (to the room), giving room for the sound to pass the sofa by the window. I would think smaller stand mounts rather than floorstanders.

gibbsy

Now that you've put the dimensions down you have more room than I first thought. In fact enough room for a base 7.1! I agree with @ashenfie that there is now room for surrounds further into the room where he has suggested. That would put them roughly where I have mine in our L shaped lounge though my TV is on the front wall. You would have to move the sofa, which is easier said than done if there is a woman in the equation.:rolleyes:

As for inwall speakers my main problem with them is that you have to get the location right first time and then you are limited for possible upgrades. Standmounts can look really good on quality stands with very little wire showing and will, in my mind, perform better than in wall. If you're going to splash out then spoil yourself and get a pair of KEF Reference 3s, best standmounts I've ever seen.:love:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The Yamaha could do with better speakers than the MA Bronzes to get the best from it so if you could increase the budget for speakers then that would help (or save a little on the AVR and get a lower model) improve sound quality.

Ross Martin

Standard Member
Hi PSM1,

I'm happy to increase the budget and would welcome some suggestions as i have to be honest this isn't my area of expertise. I know what i like when it comes to TVs but audio is new to me! In my head i had around the £1500 mark for a decent AV receiver. I do like to crank my films up as i love sci-fi films.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
As a general guide you can spend 2 to 3 times the rrp of the AVR on the speakers to get the best from the AVR and a well balanced system. This is based on a 5.1 system so if looking at Atmos etc. then a higher ratio could be applied. Now this is only a rough guide but gives an idea on how to split a budget.
so if you are spending £1-1.5k on an AVR you could easily justify over £3k on the speakers and maybe more if going for Atmos/7.1 etc.
For the Yamaha 2070 the MA Silver range would be something to look at.

gibbsy

I auditioned my KEF R300s on a Yamaha 3060 and was very impressed with it. It was the nearest receiver that AudioT had that was roughly in the same class as my Denon. It was only the actual physical depth of the 3060 that stopped me from getting one. The cost of the KEFs would be:
R300s £1000 a pair plus the cost of good stands.
R600C £900 or R200C £650 depending on room.
R100s £600 a pair plus stands or wall brackets.
A good sub from £500+.
The cost of Atmos would depend on number and type.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom