Question Speaker placement?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by DS3Player, Apr 16, 2017.

1. DS3Player

DS3Player

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi All,

I am wondering where I should place my speakers. I bought a pair of Dali Zensor 1 and currently due to space (and lack of speaker stands) I've put them into an Ikea expedit, they are not really enclosed at the front or rear and are over 1ft from the wall.

However, is this not good for the speaker? Would it be fine for a period of time?

If so, would it be better to get some stands to put them on and place them adjacent to the tv unit etc.

2. pixelpidgeon

pixelpidgeon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,727
    Hi. Don't think the positioning of a speaker can damage it, if that's what you mean? It can however affect the sound quality, mainly the bass. Do the speakers have forward or back firing ports? Saying that if you have a foot gap being them should be fine. You can also try turning the speakers inwards, say 30 degree as this can improve stereo reproduction. However some speakers improve in with this positioning while others don't. Down to a bit of experimenting and listening to what's sounds better to you.

3. Leigh Hifi

Leigh Hifi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Interesting one. First off, I'd be asking - does it sound OK to you? There are a few good guides to speaker setup on the internet - I've put a few that I found easily below. I've been hunting myself, because my mancave (the thing that I'd like to finish one day) is an awkward shape, and it's a pain in the rear getting it sorted for my setups - I'm planning two systems in this room.

For you, though - having read far, far too many different setup guides (spinny spinny head), several of them recommend not putting bookshelf speakers inside bookshelves. I can see a point to having a purpose-built stand to have the speakers firmly mounted at the correct listening height. On the plus side, on the Dali website it says that their speakers have good off-axis response so toe-in isn't necessary.

Have a look at these guides, maybe -

The Art of Positioning Speakers
    Speaker placement for stereo music listening
    10 Tips On Speaker Placement - Audio Affair Blog

Just to muddy the waters further, there are placement calculators. Cardas' golden ratio gets a mention on a few websites, and there's a calculator for this (and other methods) on this website:

Speaker Placement Calculator

Out of all of them, I think my favourite is the "start here, change a bit, see how it is" method. My personal start point would be to use proper stands - but I'm not living with your speakers in your environment (you'd know... the fridge would be empty for a start). Mounting speakers in a storage cube-type shelving unit would give me concerns over rigidity/resonance.

Either way, good luck. Have a play, see what happens :D

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    Zensor one generally do not have a problem being placed too close to the wall, though that doesn't mean you should do it. Generally the most bass heavy a speaker is, the more space it needs. However, bookshelf need less space than floorstanding.

Again, one can only generalize, but if there is about 10 inched to 18 inches behind the speaker you are OK. In some cases that can be 6 inches to 12 inches.

Myself, I pull my speakers forwards even with the front of my TV/Equipment stand and that gives them about 12" to 14" of space behind them. That's about the best I can do in this room.

Too close to the wall behind and to the side walls or to a tabletop surface will boost the bass, but not in a good way. You get bass boost but to the detrement of the Midrange which become muddy and unfocused.

I would not expect those DALI to need a great deal of space, so ...perhaps... 6 inches (150mm) should be fine.

The IKEA Expidit is now the HALLAX, so you cabinets looked like these stacked cubes??

KALLAX series - IKEA

If you do have them inside a cube, then pull them forward to the front edge of the box.

Of course, eventually moving them to stand would be best, but we do the best we can with what we have.

In some cases you will see people with speakers pulled substantially into the room. This does enhance clarity, sound stage, and imaging, but is generally impractical. Closer to the wall enhances bass, but typically to the detriment of midrange. So the goal is to find the best possible compromise in your room and under your circumstances. But never up against the wall if you don't have to; give them as much space as you reasonably can.

If the speakers are on a shelf, it is best of you can raise them up off the surface a bit. Though this is more related to computer desktops, but raising them up can also help improve the sound. You only need a small wooden box about the size of the speaker base, and roughly 3" to 4" high.

Apparently Yoga Block work well if you are looking for something dead cheap to get the job done. These can be dense Foam or Cork -

Amazon.co.uk: Yoga Blocks - Fitness: Sports & Outdoors

Z Review - Fit Spirit Desktop...

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  5. alainrj

alainrj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Having had the Dali Zensor 1s (excellent speakers by the way) experiment with placement up to 30 cms away from the back wall until you reach a good balance for you and your listening room. The speakers sound best pointing straight ahead so try this placement first.

6. pixelpidgeon

pixelpidgeon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,727
    Think @DS3Player has gone MIA. We can only hope that he saw our replies first ;)

7. MikeFaulkner

MikeFaulkner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    What an interesting thread!