1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Happytab, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Happytab

Happytab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    All, still fidling around with the placement of my speakers and could do with some advice.

The TV is in the corner (no choice as the fireplace sticks out into the room and the room is only 14x12). Currently, the centre is on top of the TV and the left is on the fire place, the right speaker is on a shelf. The L/R speakers are equal about 5' either side of the TV but obviously forward of it as the TV is in the corner. (sorry to waffle :boring: ) The surround speakers currently reside in the top corners of the rear wall (I think I need to bring them down to ear level as I dont hear much from them to be honest.

I have noticed that I can set the distance for the speakers but can't have the distance of the centre further away the the fron r/l ? why is this?

Can anyone help to opptomize my placements?

Thanks all :hiya:

2. Happytab

Happytab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :confused: Sorry - should I have mentioned the word 'Denon' in my thread title ?

3. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    No, but the make of system or size of speakers would help maybe ;)

If the speakers are small enough and magnetically shielded, could you place them above the TV either side of the centre?

If you cannot adjust the distance of the centre/left/right speakers, can you either drop down the output of the left/right or increase the centre to get them to balance?

Similary, before you move the rears, can you increase the output?

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    We do really need to know what system your using!

Placement. Your setup is similar to mine. To get the correct soundstage, the best placement of the Front Stereo pair is at the same height as the screen or slightly below centre and probably slightly closer in, say 3 - 4 feet each side of the screen. Ideally it is better to place the centre below the screen too. Rear surrounds were designed to be placed higher than the listener, and should be OK where they are.

Please confirm the make and model number of your system.

Jimmy

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,940
    Happy Tab

Two thoughts - maybe more I've not stopped typing yet.

01. Where to place your speakers - see http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html ; they even show you a typical corner room layout.

02. 'I don't hear much' - depending on whats actually 'mixed' in the movie or soundtrack your listening to there may not be any surround channels to hear.

Your best option is to purchase a 'Tune Up' DVD which has audio test tones for a 5:1 Home Theatre; that's the only way to know what levels of sound should be coming from each loudspeaker.

Have a look in the DVD Talk Forum further down the main Forum page - in the Power Buy section Piero Milani sells the AVIA Tune Up disc for sub £30.00.

Best regards

Joe

6. Happytab

Happytab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have an Aiwa system - didn't want to mention it as it isn't a Denon (despite putting Wood effect sticky back plastic on all the speakers :laugh: ) and I knew I wouldn't get any replies. Thanks for your advice by the way. I will try a few things out. :thumbsup: