Speaker placement using REW

Gazaman

Hi all.
I've installed and configured REW for my set up and have ran a couple of test measurements to confirm everything works as it should.
Basically, I have a fairly simple set up compared to some of you guys but, let's say, I'm a sucker for stats 😂. So what I want to do is use REW to help me determine the optimum position for my speakers and sub.
My room is quite small at 5.2m x 3.2m and I have a marantz NR1710 and Q acoustic concept 20 speakers.
To be perfectly honest I don't have many options for placement as my setup is in my living room, so I appreciate the gains are going to be relatively small. My objective is to try and reduce bass boom and increase clarity where possible by making subtle changes.
Like I said, I'm a sucker for stats so I guess this is more for my entertainment, and if I get any improvements then its a bonus.

So my understanding is(assuming REW and levels etc are set correctly):-
Have the mic set at MLP then..
1)-Sub....Set the range to 20hz to 300hz and run the measurement. Then move the sub to different locations to find the flattest response.
2)-Speakers....As above but to the range of 80hz to 20,000hz. My speakers are in a corner location so I'd like to tinker to get the best response I can as I read being in the corner can yield unwanted bass boom.

Does the above sound about right? And is this the easiest way to go? I've read posts about not doing actual measurements but just using pink noise for speaker placement. I'm not going to lie, but I'm a bit like a fish out of water here but willing to put the time in to learn but honestly want to get my head round the basics first.

Thanks
Gaz

jamieu

Hi all.
I've installed and configured REW for my set up and have ran a couple of test measurements to confirm everything works as it should.

You might be better off starting with the REW Room Simulator to select a couple of (potentially) optimal positions and then taking sweeps at those positions to see how well the actual measurements measure up.

If the numbers you have punched into the simulator are wrong, the measurements will be out, but conversely if they are in line with the simulator you can probably use it to identify where there nulls and peaks are in your room and where the optimal sub positions are likely to be. Once you have found an optimal position try a few measurements to the sides of it to see if you can get any improvement / a flatter curve.

Gazaman

You might be better off starting with the REW Room Simulator to select a couple of (potentially) optimal positions and then taking sweeps at those positions to see how well the actual measurements measure up.

If the numbers you have punched into the simulator are wrong, the measurements will be out, but conversely if they are in line with the simulator you can probably use it to identify where there nulls and peaks are in your room and where the optimal sub positions are likely to be. Once you have found an optimal position try a few measurements to the sides of it to see if you can get any improvement / a flatter curve.
Thanks for the reply.
I had a little play with the room sim last night actually. I'll give it another go tonight ready for when nobody's in when I can have some silence to take measurements.
Gaz

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom