1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker placement?, sub or not? etc

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jimbowley, Oct 24, 2004.

1. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All options are still open at the moment but I want to spend as little as possible. I like listening to cds as well as watching movies.

My (not chosen yet) 42inch plasma could be mounted above the fire on the very wide chimney breast, I would then place my existing Linn Index's on their stands with 2m separation. This sounds good with music. My question with this set-up is > Is a subwoofer necessary if you are happy with the bass from your fronts ?

Option2 is plasma in the corner of the room. This has advantages for viewing angles, furniture positions, and ease of install. I am thinking about having the speakers 1m apart with a single stack of kit between them. Although I expect the music listening to be not so good, I don't think it will upset my movie watching? Also I was thinking that the narrower spacing might actually be better for my friends who are sitting off-centre? This arrangement might mean ditching the stands and the speakers ending up almost in cubby-holes (I'm cringing myself as I say it!).

Finally, I quite like the idea of wiring the plasma's own speakers as the centre channel (assuming I buy a modell with speakers). Is this a tried and tested method?

Any comments appreciated
    Jim

2. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you're watching movies then yes, you need a subwoofer!!!

3. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    It will sound tonally different to your other speakers and be annoying (to me at least!)

If you're going to be watching movies - and would really like to get in to the home cinema business - you're going to have to get some rears and a decent center first (and an amp to drive them), then eventually get a sub.

4. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update and more info. Bought a Panny pwd6. Will buy a dolby digitial 5.1 amp.

I currently have (and will initially use) 2xLinn index for front, 2x wharfdale diamond IV rear, Wharfedale ? centre. If this all sounds OK together when I wire it up, then I'll just need an active sub. Recommendations?

If it doesn't sound OK, then I'll be confused, becasue I'm quite attached to my Indexes and I won't know what to do!

5. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    You could always go for a dedicated speaker set up for AV, and leave the Linns for stereo only duties. Quite a few AV amps available now will let you select A or B (or both) L/R front speakers for different playback modes, so you can have the best of both worlds. I guess a lot depends upon your priorities between music and movies, as well as available space for the quantity of boxes you will end up with in the living room. The advantage (imho) is that you can buy really good AV speaker packages that are fully matched from centre to sub, and (again imho) you don't need to spend big bucks because you'll be looking for a different sensory experience from movie watching, compared to listening to CD's, and the speakers designed for this are designed to operate differently - and you can spend correspondingly less per speaker unit and be very satisfied (straps bullet proof vest on, listens for tell tale licks of safeties being removed, ducks behind sofa and waits for the inevitable "feedback"..... :rolleyes: )