• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Speaker Placement Question

NewJA

Established Member
Dear all

I have hopefully managed to show below a very very basic layout of my front room with potential speaker positions!

I have the a settee facing the main wall where the TV sits (around 4 metres away,1.5 metres high), however I also have a settee that meets this settee at right angles and basically runs down the right hand wall as i face the TV.

So this gives a L Shape,

What I would like advice on is how I should have the rear speakers on my logitech Z550. (there is no space between settee and wall). Options are I think:

1. One speakaer to the left and one to the right of the main settee (Settee facing TV) The concern with this is that the settee to my right will not receive any of the benefits of the surround sound and is used frequently for guests for games and blu-ray.

2. Still have the speaker behind my left ear in the same place but have the speaker behind my right ear, basically to the right of the settte along my right hand wall - this would esnure that both settees are in the 'middle' of both the speakers but would effectively mean that this speaker is facing me from the right hand wall (when im on the main settee), rather than being behind me

....... TV

.....................]guest settee
[main settee]

I have shown the speaker position in option 1 and in option 2.

Final question is roughly what height should the back two speakers be. ive read around head height but would appreciate some advice

Thanks in advance guys

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
I would choose option 1. Put both rear speakers behind your seating position. As to height, it's all subjective really, but personally I would put mine above head height (when sitting on the main sofa) as it would get annoying having a speaker right near to your ear.

NewJA

Established Member
Thanks Greg. I thought that would probably be the answer Im just concerned that as I have people frequently use the other settee that if I could get away with option 2 without a major loss of surround for the main settee then i would.

Just for confirmation has anyone out there used my option 2 and think that it works at all?

hottstuff

Banned
Option 1 will give you a proper soundfield.
Option 2 will allow guests to hear the rear right , but the soundfield will be messed up for both and negates the effect really.

IanWilky

Established Member
Hi NewJA,

I've attached a (really basic) layout of my lounge, although this is obviously not to scale i suspect it is similar to yours. I've shown the speaker positions i have used and the approx direction of any toeing in, and can definately confirm that these work.

I set up my kit using the Audyssey calibration system for 6 positions, with the sweet spot being the 1st and main listening position i.e. directly in front of the TV. (If you don't have any calibration system on your kit this will still be the best layout).

Sitting on the secondary sofa, you still get a reasonably correct soundfield, surround effects sound like they come from the correct directions, after all your head is still tilted at the TV. If you were to move the rear right surround speaker up the wall onto the other side of the secondary sofa, this effect would come from in front of anybody in the sweet spot and spoil the effect.

When we have visitors, i like to give them the main settee and watch their faces light up! We still enjoy the movie from the other settee.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• Layout1.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 82

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Thanks Greg. I thought that would probably be the answer Im just concerned that as I have people frequently use the other settee that if I could get away with option 2 without a major loss of surround for the main settee then i would.

Just for confirmation has anyone out there used my option 2 and think that it works at all?

Sod the guests. :D They don't ever appreciate how good things sound or look anyway. (you spent how much on that type comments etc) Get it the best for your viewing and listening position.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom