1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker placement question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Samari, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Samari

Samari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that with a 5.1 system you are meant to have the rear speakers behind you and to the side but as my sofa is 90-degrees to the wall (I have to have it like this) It is not possible to have them to the side as it suggests on the Dolby site. So is it ok to just have them directly behind you and how far away should they be? My other question is this: Is it o.k to put the subwoofer underneath your sofa, between your feet, or are there any better places?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I know it's early on a Sunday morning but I am trying to picture your room layout and failing miserably. If your sofa is at right angles to the rear wall I assume that it is also 90 degrees to the television set and you are watching with your head swivelled round which sounds painfully uncomfortable.

3. Samari

Samari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, although that would be quite funny.

The sofa is at 90 degrees to to the side wall with the T.V facing ahead, this leads to the problem I described in the first post.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Depending on your room layout and the speakers involved, could you not mount the rear speakers high on the walls pointing downwards - most of us don't have ideal room settings and we have to compromise somehow

5. Samari

Samari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid that's impossible because I have a loft room and the walla slope, plus the wall supports are not in the right places.

So is it not ok to have the two rear speakers directly behind you with the sub under the sofa?

6. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    You can put a subwoofer anywhere you want to. This will not sound as good as a properly placed speaker and could lead to booming or reduced bass levels

7. Samari

Samari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So where is the best place to put the sub. Also as I asked earlier is it o.k to have the rear speakers directly behind you?

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    If you have bi/tri pole speakers then you would be ok with them at the rear. With direct firing speakers the sounds could be a little misplaced and/or easy to find which would ruin the effects.

Can you not just put the sub by the tv? or even behind the tv? Otherwise you will have to do the walk around the room listening to the sub trick. Put the sub in your listening position and play some bass heavy material. Then start walking arround to see where the sub sounds best and then place it there:D

9. Samari

Samari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure if they are bi/tri pole speakers so here is a link to them. Maybe you could tell me if they are or not?

10. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i think they're just bog standard direct firing speakers.

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    As these speakers are free standing why not just move them around your room trying out various combinations of positioning at the rear until you find the one that sounds the best.

The best place for the sub is normally inside the front main speakers (mine is outside but in the same plane) but again move it around until you find the best compromise.

12. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Subs require some experimentation. Different locations can add boom so it really is a suck it and see situation. Generally the bass should not be noticeable, if you can clearly hear it, it is to loud or in the wrong place. Under your sofa might be perfect but I guess what I am trying to say is that subs are not plug and play - they do reward effect though