Speaker Placement Options - particularly centre

gpt

Hi all,

Im doing a new home cinema build and have posted in the diy thread but thought best to post this one here. I am thinking about the placement of the speakers and how best they are going to work, particularly the centre speaker. Ideally what is its best height and what should it be sat on? A unit? A stand? Wall mounted? I also noticed people raising their floor standers which i dont get as the height of floor standers are designed to put the tweeters at ear level? And ive also seen floor standers on wooden platforms but i would have thought carpet better with spikes? My rears will likely be wall mounted. I read on the dolby or thx page these are best a few feet above the listening position angled down?

If people could chip in with thoughts it would help me formulate a plan for the room. I should add its the kef q series i own, 900s 600c 300 rears. Ive added a few pics ive found online to illustrate. The 600c is a big centre and i will have a tv on the wall with a projector screen that drops down in front. Would you build a stage area? Or would it restrict how ar away from the walls you could place your floorstanders?

Cheers

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 93
  • q300-1.jpg
    q300-1.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 86
  • 136354.jpg
    136354.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
A speaker is never going to sound its best in or on a cabinet. I would either get a stand or a proper wall bracket.

gpt

Thanks psm, that was my thought. The next question is how high should the front left/right tweeters of the floor standers be in relation to the screen? You can see on one of the images i attached someone has raised them so that they are towards the upper quadrants of the screen, sitting them on the cabinet. Im thinking of sitting my screen lower and placing the front speakers onto a staging area with the centre being above the screen

PSM1

Distinguished Member
That top picture has all the speakers in compromised positions. I would not use that as a basis for placing yours. It is better as a what not to do. The tweeters at the front including the centre should all be at ear level when seated. The rears should be about 30cm above ear level.

Craig Sowerby

A lot depends on where the tears are placed in distance and angle terms from the seating, after designing many large and small dedicated and smaller living room systems I have always followed my training so work on 1.5m height for surrounds and if possible try to keep the three HF units at the same height and also the same distance, so centre not behind L&R or in front. A stage can work but requires real construction.

gpt

A lot depends on where the tears are placed in distance and angle terms from the seating, after designing many large and small dedicated and smaller living room systems I have always followed my training so work on 1.5m height for surrounds and if possible try to keep the three HF units at the same height and also the same distance, so centre not behind L&R or in front. A stage can work but requires real construction.

I have been looking into staging as it provides a "no go" line for other family members not to cross lol. One problem i have is the room is 4m width x 3m long. I have a double door in the centre of a 3m wall so i have been deciding on the best possible placing.

I was going to put a sofa against 1 4m wall and the projector screen and lcr across the other 4m (giving a nice wide soundstage) wall with a curtained door on one 3m wall and curtained window on the other 3m wall. The surround will be wall mounted on the side 3m walls at 90 degree angles to the listening position. I am then however fighting the 3m depth room. Spacing the front lcr away from the front wall is probably going to take up best part of 80-100cm. The sofa on the back wall probably takes up another 1m leaving me just 1m of floor space. Im concerned that i will be getting too close to both the speakers and the screen.

Because the double door is on the 3m wall its hard to use the other 3m wall for the screen as positioning a wide sofa in the room will be difficult to walk around and will need spacing from the door anyway.

Have you any other recommendations for a room this size with your experience?

Craig Sowerby

Can you use the room the other way? So screen on a 3m wall with maybe wall mounted speakers or in wall speakers and the seating just forward of the door/s?

Craig Sowerby

Sorry didn't read the last paragraph corrxctly

Craig Sowerby

Could the doors be re-hung so they open outwards?

Craig Sowerby

Or change to a single door nearer the corner?

gpt

There is only going to be one row of seats in the room that i was hoping to fit the mrs and 2 kids on. If the sofa was only 2.2 m wide it would only leave 40cm each side to walk around the sofa, which doesnt really work. The doors and window arent yet in place but the door definitely has to go in the centre of the 3m wall but it can be hung any way i like.

Craig Sowerby

You could get a nice pair of cinema chairs and I've seen lots of installs use a bean type bag which is often for the children, your probably going to compromise either the seating or the screen width, you could go for a slightly smaller screen and bring the seating forward, or use the seating in a V shape with four seats, seen that also and it can work well

gpt

Just thought i would show you the house plan. The dedicated room is the room bottom right just off of the kitchen

Attachments

• New.jpg
    New.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 60

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Could you have the screen so it motors down in front of the door from the kitchen?

gpt

I need to have a tv in the room too :)

Pain in the backside isnt it!

I was happy with my original layout but then came across this thread Speaker Position Revelation! | What Hi-Fi?

Reading it sounds like his speakers are on the narrower 3m wall as he says his speakers are much closer together. Now i just dont know whats best. Although if his room is 4 m the other way and he says hes sitting 1m from rear wall and speakers are 1m from all walls at front god nows how the room looks!

Craig Sowerby

My room is 3.6m wide although that's the screen wall, but if I sit across the room how you are looking at doing it leaves little space and you will be on top of your speakers, at that distance maybe go for a larger TV? 65"? Trouble with drop down screens is centre positioning with the doors, I would go for better performance and placement over size with that layout. Your close enough that a 65" screen will give a good size image that's good for multi purpose use as well.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
It is a shame that your dedicated room is compromised in terms of layout. You could try the sofa across the width. If you had one end touching one wall then you would have 80cm to walk around the other side. Even at 40cm then should be enough to get round and since it is a dedicated room then not like you need complete ease of access.

gpt

It is a shame that your dedicated room is compromised in terms of layout. You could try the sofa across the width. If you had one end touching one wall then you would have 80cm to walk around the other side. Even at 40cm then should be enough to get round and since it is a dedicated room then not like you need complete ease of access.

Even if i do this the sofa will need bringing forward into the room because of the doors so i will have the same problem of being close to the speakers and screen.

gpt

My room is 3.6m wide although that's the screen wall, but if I sit across the room how you are looking at doing it leaves little space and you will be on top of your speakers, at that distance maybe go for a larger TV? 65"? Trouble with drop down screens is centre positioning with the doors, I would go for better performance and placement over size with that layout. Your close enough that a 65" screen will give a good size image that's good for multi purpose use as well.

Whats your dimension the other way craig? Just curious how your room is set out

Craig Sowerby

I have used fixed frame screens in a shallow frame screen wall with three speakers behind the screen, gets the speakers a little further away and gives the room a much bigger feel, and the LCR are correctly placed as well, could be a good option, have a professional build the screen wall as so many are built and detract from the performance of the speakers, then a neutral dark grey fabric covering works well for image performance, dark ceiling is a must at least in the front half. I'm lucky as many years ago before I got into designing and building cinemas (back in laserdisc days and Phil Hinton calling in to talk AV!) I was a joiner, so if you know a good joiner who listens to what you need you could have a great system.

gpt

So final verdict on what we think is best for this room? Screen definitely on the 3m wall?

Craig Sowerby

So final verdict on what we think is best for this room? Screen definitely on the 3m wall?
Yes if you can live with the tightness getting into the room, that's the way. 2-2.5m screen. I would look into switching the speakers for something that goes on the wall or in it[emoji6]

gpt

Yes if you can live with the tightness getting into the room, that's the way. 2-2.5m screen. I would look into switching the speakers for something that goes on the wall or in it[emoji6]

Thanks for the replies... not sure i can give up the kefs but we will see :p

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Google set to launch the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Focal launches Bathys noise-cancelling wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Formovie Theater UST projector hits the UK
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series