Speaker placement - Monitor Audio (MA) Silver FX

jtgooch

Novice Member
Reaction score
I recently bought Monitor Audio MA Silver FX for my 5.1 system in my basement. I haven't connected them yet but I will play around with placement. Below are some pictures of my basement. I think the best placement will be on the sides and a few feet up from ear level. Mounted on the cross bars. Because my couch is against the back wall I'm afraid of hanging them on the back wall. Attached are placement wither on the cross bars or on the back wall. I've read and read all the treads but my layout is a little different than most. Need thoughts on this please.

A8A93096-8FB8-48BE-ADDC-8287925D8EE6.jpeg
7795C4E4-BC1D-4C54-8D1E-4A22686A24FE.jpeg
B32547D7-09FC-4AF6-B643-2A8BEB65C750.jpeg
B4878E9A-A345-46AE-8D6B-54DC68A11D4F.jpeg
D8BE6099-76FD-4A58-B03D-56FAD6399097.jpeg

They don´t work at the sides cause you don´t have walls and there is some opening at one side where the sound would "bounce". Typically the FX speakers are placed good amount apart at the rear wall when couch is against it and 2feet higher from seated ear height so little higher than your Xses in the picture. I think you could go even higher than below picture shows.

Is there any chance to get the main speakers pushed forward on top of tile (you would use something under the speakers)?

img_0923-jpg.913441

Thanks for the reply and picture of your set up!
At the moment we have little kids and putting the front speakers there keeps them out of the way. They fit pretty tight where they are. Eventually we will knock the back wall out and have a more open living room but for now this is what I have.
As far as having them on your rear wall. Do you like how they sounds?
Hopefully this weekend I can put them in a few different spots and test them before they are actually mounted.
I thought being on the sides at 90 degree facing the couch and a little higher would sound the best but that's why I'm asking. Figured being away from the wall and setting at dipole would have the best surround without being localized.

Thanks for the reply and picture of your set up!
At the moment we have little kids and putting the front speakers there keeps them out of the way. They fit pretty tight where they are. Eventually we will knock the back wall out and have a more open living room but for now this is what I have.
As far as having them on your rear wall. Do you like how they sounds?
Hopefully this weekend I can put them in a few different spots and test them before they are actually mounted.
I thought being on the sides at 90 degree facing the couch and a little higher would sound the best but that's why I'm asking. Figured being away from the wall and setting at dipole would have the best surround without being localized.
For 5.1 you have them in bipole, dipole is for 7.1 using two pairs of silver fx. As @Gasp3621 said, rear wall around 2 ft above ear height will be your best placement. Here’s mine:
9BD7E2AA-C06B-44D5-9C0E-E7C57467C095.jpeg

Not my room. :) As long as i remember we have members had the FX speakers on rear wall with couch close or against it. I just don´t see them working optimally if you mount them on the bars. Something like Silver 1 (old) or SIlver 50 (new) mounted on the bar and aimed toward MLP would worked, but as you have FXs already then i would try them on rear wall in both bipole/dipole mode. As you said don´t mount them but use some high boxes or if you have two ladders put them high up and move them to find the sweet spot.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom