Speaker placement in ex system

P

Philip Newton

just upgraded to EX and want to know where to put extra speaker. Is it at same height as surrounds (which are up about 3 feet above listening position on the side walls pointing at me) and directly behind the listening position or is there another way.

Positioned directly behind you, a little higher than the surrounds and faced down slightly.

thanks I will give it a go, Do I set same level as other speakers e.g 75db?

Just remember when positioning the surround back channel to have at least a distance of 1m/1.5m away from where you are sat to get the best results.

Just remember when positioning the surround back channel to have at least a distance of 1m/1.5m away from where you are sat to get the best results.
What if you hav'nt got the space behind! I sit on a sofa positioned directly infront of a bricked up fire surround(no longer there now). I'm running 5.1 at the moment and the 2 rears sit in the back alcoves (B&W DS6 dipoles) ,but i'm changing to 6.1 in the next month(new amp) and placing the dipoles to the side walls directly in line to the listening position. I was thinking of using " IN WALL " speakers ( B&W do some to match the DS6, exactly the same speaker just with a in wall mounting box). The only thing is , will the centre rear be too close behind my head+ should i go for a pair to sink into the chimney breast to spead out the rear effect.

Might work with in wall speakers, but still think you would be too close.

What about ceiling speakers? These have been mentioned on another thread, I think they would work better. :)

What about ceiling speakers? These have been mentioned on another thread, I think they would work better.
I have auditioned some in ceiling speakers at Sevenoaks at sheffield and I didnt get on with them. The sound still seemed to be coming from above rather than behind. Although the speakers in the demo room( M&K) sounded very good , the positioning of the sound was not to my liking. Maybe I ought to think about staying with 5.1 but uprating to a higher spec amp( i only have a Yamaha a5) , but i still would like to convert to prologic 2. Any other sugestions?

If staying with 5.1 what about going the power amp route, a nice 5channel amp like Rotel on top of the Yamaha would be far more rewarding IMO.

As for DPL2, from what I keep reading it is a bit hit and miss, lacking in bass has been to most disappointment.

All depends on what you watch the most, dvd's/tv? Only then will you know if you will benefit from DPL2 and want to upgrade in that direction. :)

If staying with 5.1 what about going the power amp route, a nice 5channel amp like Rotel on top of the Yamaha would be far more rewarding IMO.
Only one problem, I have to sell my Yamaha a5 to a mate to be able to buy the replacement. I watch alot of SKY programs and music channels so the PL2 should make it better( I found the std pro logic on the Yamaha poor + I have a sub to make up for any lack of bass). I am visiting the Home Entertainment show in Manchester and I will try and audition some receivers there. If it comes down to it I may just buy one of the new amps (possibly the DENON 1803 or the PIONEER 811),I dont have to use 6.1/7.1 until I can come up with a salution.

i have been in this position as my couch is also close to a back wall. i made the expensive mistake of getting the ex speakers and thought it sounded good. eventually, when decorating, i set it up as a 5.1 system and was amazed at how much better it sounded! 6.1/7.1 is worth it if you have the space, if not 5.1 is still very good!

6.1/7.1 is worth it if you have the space, if not 5.1 is still very good!
Maybe i should think about getting a better 5.1 amp say a Yamaha dsp a1 secound hand? I've put a wanted add in the forum, i'll see what happens.

Originally posted by martin
( B&W do some to match the DS6, exactly the same speaker just with a in wall mounting box).

The DS6 and their inwall cousins have been discontinued for a while now.

It's worth looking at the CCM800 though.

What's your wall made of?
If it's not plasterboard stud wall then you will have a lot of work on your hands.

I am currently thinking of upgrading to 6.1. My rear speakers are currently behind me and about 2.5m apart and I cannot postion these anywhere else. The additional speaker would go between these but would be higher.

Would an additional speaker make much difference in these circumstances or would I be as well just sticking with my existing 5.1 setup.

muscat

You really need depth behind you for the rear centre speaker/s and ideally it should be further back than the left & right surround speakers.

If you can get hold of a speaker it might be worth experimenting but I think you´ll find 5.1 better in your case.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom